Briley choke tube installation

pacecars

Has anyone had a Brileys install choke tubes in their over/under shotgun? I am trying to decide if it is worth it to have them put in the older Ruger 20 ga Red Label I bought. Maybe the imp cyl/mod will handle everything and it isn’t needed

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
Has anyone had a Brileys install choke tubes in their over/under shotgun? I am trying to decide if it is worth it to have them put in the older Ruger 20 ga Red Label I bought. Maybe the imp cyl/mod will handle everything and it isn’t needed
I have not used Briley’s.
I’ve worked with Sumtoy and a local smith who installed Colonials.
Happy with both the outcome on both guns.

pacecars

Thanks, checked with Sumtoy and they would need to look at the barrels to see if they can do it $130 per barrel with one choke, Briley is $650 with 5 chokes

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
Thanks, checked with Sumtoy and they would need to look at the barrels to see if they can do it $130 per barrel with one choke, Briley is $650 with 5 chokes
Bobs converted my old Winchester into a screw in choke system. Chokes were the cheap part. Whole thing wasn’t over $400.
I was close so he looked at my barrel. He would probably know what choke system works for your gun.

pacecars

I will call them tomorrow

Jester896

Senior Clown
@pacecars I have a Brazilian made O/U in 20ga that is choked like that and it is a sweet shooter. I don't have any issues shooting skeet with it and often bring it as a backup on dove shoots. The people that use it want it.

I have had it 20+ years...has 2 triggers...front pulls the bottom (IC) the back pulls the top (MOD).

Try it like it is and see :huh:

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
@pacecars I have a Brazilian made O/U in 20ga that is choked like that and it is a sweet shooter. I don't have any issues shooting skeet with it and often bring it as a backup on dove shoots. The people that use it want it.

I have had it 20+ years...has 2 triggers...front pulls the bottom (IC) the back pulls the top (MOD).

If it’s not broke, why fix it.

pacecars

Probably true. I hate to mess with it if it works.

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety

My older Doubles and O/U's are fixed Imp Cyl and Modified but the pheasants, rabbits and crows don't know the difference.

Jester896

Senior Clown
What ever became of this one?

The reason I asked is I just picked up a Beretta S56E in 20ga. It was originally choked F/IM. The bottom barrel had the restriction cut to IC and the top is clser to IM than M..about .020 difference. Since it has been cut it may not be a bad idea to cut the top tube if it doesn't perform like I would like.

4D Rentals has an adjustable 20-16ga choke reamer...might get my buddy to help me ream that tube.

nice old box lock gun

Jester896

Senior Clown
yeah...since someone started on this one I though about doing it. I think they were originally used for pigeons with the F over IM. As soon as I get the new pad that is sitting next to it I'll take it for a spin to see.

pacecars

Briley had done good work on some of my friends guns. You could go whole hog and have it back bored and ported while they have it if you go that route. I did ask them about making a set of 28 gauge tubes for it. Not cheap but might be fun

Jester896

Senior Clown
one of my buddies...they called him Zero...sent his 425 or 525 to them for an all gauge set...seemed like a bunch of trouble to use to me.

I wouldn't mind finding an affordable Silver Pigeon in a 20/28 2 barrel set

pacecars

one of my buddies...they called him Zero...sent his 425 or 525 to them for an all gauge set...seemed like a bunch of trouble to use to me.

I wouldn't mind finding an affordable Silver Pigeon in a 20/28 2 barrel set
It would probably much heavier than my 28 gauge Yildiz O/U which defats the advantage of the smaller gauge guns.

fauxferret

If you're near Sylvania Comp-N-Choke also provides the service I can't remember the exact cost but I believe $75 a barrel to thread. You get a cash discount too, they're up the road for me so my go to when I need new chokes. If you bring your gun take the shells you plan to shoot. They had me pattern my SP1 in 28Ga. A few years back great people.