Bringing the freshwater drum back to North Carolina

flconch53

Since the zebra mussels came in thru bilge discharge the great lakes are full of them. They willing hit a lure and are OK in the fight department. Up there the call them sheepshead don't know why

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
They've been restocking lake sturgeon in the French Broad the last few years, too. There was also a population of paddlefish in there up until about the late 50s, when pollution apparently killed them off.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
They are present in the Pigeon River that I live beside, about 15 miles downstream across the TN line. The Waterville Dam blocks them from getting up this far, but I'd guess they were here at some point in the earlier days.

In the spring below the big power dams on the Tennessee river, they run big and you can catch a lot of them. They do a big head shake when you put the boga on them and if you catch too many you might get tendinitis.

Attachments

• gville big drum.gif
    gville big drum.gif
    683.6 KB · Views: 14

Nicodemus

Old and Ornery
Staff member
We don`t have those down here. Not that I know of anyway.

flconch53

The Coosa and TN basins have a bunch of them. Will smack a lure and have you fooled for a second or two before you realize what you've got. I've never ate one, but a friend of mine will keep small ones and swear they're really good table fare.

View attachment 1279979
I suppose it is like small salt water drum they are good while the big old ugliest not so much

Dupree

I ate one that was about 2 pounds from the coosa river about 15 years ago. It was good.

EDH

I used to catch them quite a bit when I was a kid living in Oklahoma. You can split their head down the center and they have 2 rocks in them. My papa said they were good luck.

buckpasser

That’s a cool looking fish. I wish they were here.

Batjack

Cap`n Jack 1313
I used to catch them quite a bit when I was a kid living in Oklahoma. You can split their head down the center and they have 2 rocks in them. My papa said they were good luck.
And they'll have a number 3 or 5 or 7 on them.

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
We caught sheepheads in the Great Lakes mostly on night crawlers while fishing for perch and walleyes. Native Americans valued them not just for food but the bony structure behind the ear made necklace beads.