Brisket Question

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
Yep. And won world championships with it. I never really understood the cooking a brisket at 200 degrees for 48 hours thing, like it's somehow magically going to be better the longer you cook it. I've tried it both ways and found the opposite to be true.

Same here. 275 gets it done quick and the fat has plenty of time to render off.

DannyW

Same here. 275 gets it done quick and the fat has plenty of time to render off.
Yep. Years ago I smoked at 220-240 degrees but over the years I have inched up to 250-270 degrees. That seems to be the sweet spot.

But if I had done that, my brisket would have been finished at 2:00 AM, and 10 hours is just too long to rest.

I think I have come to the conclusion that, for me personally, a brisket is not in the cards for a lunchtime meal. I'm not willing to stay up all night tending to my smoker, and I just won't serve warmed over brisket.

So for a supper time cook, okay. For lunch I will stick to butt and ribs.

Thanks for everyone's input.

DannyW

Offset. That's why this is sort of complicated. Have to tend it about once an hour to keep the temp steady.

If I had something that would maintain heat for a longer time, like a pellet grill or even a BGE, it wouldn't be a problem.

But I don't.

Tight Lines

Offset. That's why this is sort of complicated. Have to tend it about once an hour to keep the temp steady.

If I had something that would maintain heat for a longer time, like a pellet grill or even a BGE, it wouldn't be a problem.

But I don't.
Yeah that makes overnights a little more complicated...I can put two briskets on the BGE and sleep for 6-7 hours without concern...makes it much easier...

elfiii

Admin
Staff member

But I don't.

Akorn for the win. :wink: