Broadheads

John Cooper

?Now I Got One A Them Banner Things
i have used snuffers(155gr love em) and i have also used the muzzy phantoms(220 gr) i like a heavy head but i mostly match them to my arrow and bow set-up

john

choctawlb

I started out several years ago shooting 160 gr. "Howard Hill Heads" 2 blade. After shooting 2 deer,having pass complete pass thru's and having a heck of a time finding them due to small blood trails :huh: I changed over to Zwickey deltas, been shooting them ever since. So far I haven't lost a deer using those. Good penetration and a good blood trail.
I will be switching to knapped heads this year, so hopefully I'll have some feedback on them after this season. I have considered several different types, but keep going back to the Mississippian Triangle. It's a small head, easy to make, durable and it's probrobly the most found arrowhead type in the southeast. If it was used that widely it more than likely worked. Plus using cane arrows, the correct spined shaft is small on the point end, and would be difficult to haft a larger head into, unless you add a foreshaft to the arrow, something I'm not ready to try at this point.
A friend of mine, that has been taking deer for 30+ years with self bow and cane arrows says that the triangle is the way to go for penetration. He has had complete pass thru's on several deer, slicing through ribs in the process, with the head showing no damage on recovery.:cheers:
Ken