Brunswick early August in a kayak

AndrewV

Hey y'all! I've booked myself a little solo getaway to Brunswick to a place along one of the estuaries. Taking my kayak. I've never fished the area before, so I'm hoping y'all could give me pointers, what to pick up before heading that way, etc. I know the bite will probably be hindered by the heat by that time, but I'm going to try anyway. Should I think popping cork/gulp shrimp or try to pick up some minnows and keep them alive? Thanks all!

Railroader

Billy’s Security Guard.
No need to mess with bait or corks...

1. Black DOA shrimp.
2. Gulp 3" smoke colored swimming mullet on a 1/8 oz jighead.
3. Rapala Skitterwalk.

Toss em around Creek mouths, run ins, and shell mounds.

Fish the bottom four hours of the tide.

Find Village Creek launch, and start there. Easy yakking, not a lotta boat traffic.

Simple as that. Good luck.

AndrewV

No need to mess with bait or corks...

1. Black DOA shrimp.
2. Gulp 3" smoke colored swimming mullet on a 1/8 oz jighead.
3. Rapala Skitterwalk.

Toss em around Creek mouths, run ins, and shell mounds.

Fish the bottom four hours of the tide.

Find Village Creek launch, and start there. Easy yakking, not a lotta boat traffic.

Simple as that. Good luck.
I like simple! Thank you so much!

massafibassa

I second village creek. I like 1/4 oz jighead with 4" paddletail plastics. Fish slowly along the bottom for Flounder . You can also use mud minnows or small mullet on same jighead lip hooked or just use a Carolina style rig . I like to use the same gear I bass fish with "baitcaster". Take plenty of tackle you will lose some on the oyster beds.

AndrewV

I second village creek. I like 1/4 oz jighead with 4" paddletail plastics. Fish slowly along the bottom for Flounder . You can also use mud minnows or small mullet on same jighead lip hooked or just use a Carolina style rig . I like to use the same gear I bass fish with "baitcaster". Take plenty of tackle you will lose some on the oyster beds.
Thank you again. Can I ask a dumb question? I've never had much luck with jigheads for some reason. would i fish it sort of like a texas rig where I feel it drag along the bottom or just try to swim it near the bottom?

massafibassa

With artificial keep it moving but slowly and near the bottom for flounder. If trout are hitting it then the retrieve and bottom are not as important. If you tip the jig with live bait fish very slowly .

massafibassa

Also if your not familiar with the area. It's probably best to start fishing at low tide.
That way you will have an idea as to what your casting into or else you will lose a lot of rigging.