Brush Arbor and tent revivals

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
I can remember 2-3 being held in in the community I grew up in. This was in the 1960s in Jackson Co. Ga.
Did/do they hold these in your area?

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Yep. Sometimes with sneks.

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
Still happening today NCH?

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
there are a few tent revivals still going on up in these parts from time to time. Seems like August and September are the months they hold them mostly.

I remember going to tent revivals as a kid. It would wear you out from staying up so late. We would never get home and in the bed before 11 or so, and had to be up the next morning to take care of the chores around the house.

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
I have seen a tent up in Thomson within the past 5 years. Then there are the Methodist Camp Meetings like the ones at Fountain Campground and Whiteoak Campground.

westcobbdog

In High School used to go to the Marietta Campground on 120 in East Cobb. Most tents turned is to small cabins. They still have revivals yearly I think. Prolly have 20 cabins owned by diff families on-site.

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
My Daddy told us about a brush arbor meeting he and his cousin went to one night during the depression. They were teenagers.
He said the old preacher was so desperate to get a larger collection that he passed the hat 3 times. On the third pass he pled with his congregation to please give anything they had. Daddy said they had been working on fence that day and both of them had fence staples in their overall pockets.
They complied with the pleas and gave staples on the third pass.
True story.

Resica

Familiar with Camp Meeting, similar to Tent Revivals? Mossy Creek Campground near Clermont is what I'm slightly familiar with.

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
Familiar with Camp Meeting, similar to Tent Revivals? Mossy Creek Campground near Clermont is what I'm slightly familiar with.

my Papa and Granny are buried at Mossy Creek. I know exactly where it is

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member

The brush arbor was a poor folks version of a tent. A framework of rough posts, poles, and limbs with leaves laid over for shade. Folks gathered under it for shelter. I found this image on the web. F690607C-312B-4249-9354-2CEC1F550DEA.jpeg

specialk

we had revivals but they wernt in no tent and they wernt no sneks either....

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
Meaders 'tent' in Mossy Creek. It is the oldest one there

1626900384493.png