Bryce Young is projected a 1st rd pick... Stetson Bennett 5th-7th rd....Why?

Tight Lines

I think he is mid round talent at best. I just don't see the amount of difference in him and Young for Young to be so highly touted.
Agreed...I think he is 3+ rounds and drafted as a back up...keep in mind though, Mahomes was drafted as a backup to Alex Smith his first year...and he has turned out to be the best QB in history by the stats in his time in the NFL...he is also bigger and throws a football faster than any QB in Combine history...I sure hope Bennett does make it in the NFL...like that kid in SF from Iowa State...could be a Cinderella Story...

westcobbdog

I think Stet would work great in the 49ers system, he's a perfect affordable 3-4-5 middle round pick as a solid backup qb. Who knows what happens after that...all the guy does is win at the highest level there is besides the pro level. He thrives when people doubt him.

elfiii

Admin
Staff member

across the river

I think he is mid round talent at best. I just don't see the amount of difference in him and Young for Young to be so highly touted.
The biggest difference from a projection standpoint is Young was great under pressure, and Bennet wasn't near as good, statistically. Brady and Rodgers didn’t set the combine on fire, but they have consistently performed waaaay better under pressure than most of there counterparts in the NFL. Go watch Bo Nix, Hendon Hooker, Will Levi’s, Max Dugan, etc….. in the games against Georgia and then go watch CJ Stroud and Bryce Young when they played them. The difference in how they last two performed when under pressure verses the others is night and day. Young threw two picks in the NC, I get it, but he still put up 350+ and looked a lot better than the others, sans Stroud. Bennett numbers when under pressure aren’t great, so the thought is he won’t be as “good” in the NFL where he doesn’t have all day to throw the ball. Time will obviously tell, but a lot depends on who drafts them. I think Bennet’s success all depends on the system he ends up in, and going later rounds may be better from that standpoint. San Fran did a great job with Purdy getting the balls out of his hands and he is smart enough to run that system well. If Bennet falls into a similar situation, I think he has a chance to hang around in the pros a while. I think Bryce Young ends up going earlier to a terrible team, and ends up getting hurt a lot like Tua, being as small as he is. I hope he does well, but those early pick guys usually take a beating the first couple of years.

Resica

The biggest difference from a projection standpoint is Young was great under pressure, and Bennet wasn't near as good, statistically. Brady and Rodgers didn’t set the combine on fire, but they have consistently performed waaaay better under pressure than most of there counterparts in the NFL. Go watch Bo Nix, Hendon Hooker, Will Levi’s, Max Dugan, etc….. in the games against Georgia and then go watch CJ Stroud and Bryce Young when they played them. The difference in how they last two performed when under pressure verses the others is night and day. Young threw two picks in the NC, I get it, but he still put up 350+ and looked a lot better than the others, sans Stroud. Bennett numbers when under pressure aren’t great, so the thought is he won’t be as “good” in the NFL where he doesn’t have all day to throw the ball. Time will obviously tell, but a lot depends on who drafts them. I think Bennet’s success all depends on the system he ends up in, and going later rounds may be better from that standpoint. San Fran did a great job with Purdy getting the balls out of his hands and he is smart enough to run that system well. If Bennet falls into a similar situation, I think he has a chance to hang around in the pros a while. I think Bryce Young ends up going earlier to a terrible team, and ends up getting hurt a lot like Tua, being as small as he is. I hope he does well, but those early pick guys usually take a beating the first couple of years.
Just a guess but they performed better because they are better and their teams are like Georgia's team, many professionals on those teams.

Browning Slayer

Official Voice Of The Dawgs !
Yeah, about 3 years ago we were having this very same conversation about a guy named Fromm.
And bump it 3 years from now... 6 years from now... 9 years from now... And we'll still be talking about QB's that OWN Auburn..

What YOU or any of your Auburn guys in here don't talk about is the 2 Auburn QB's that UGA beat to a pulp this year. The one that transferred to Oregon that got beat 49-3 or the Auburn QB that got slaughtered 42-10.

What a PERFECT YEAR to win the Back to Back. Killing 2 Auburn QB's on the way to doing it.

I just love it when Barners try and talk trash. GO DAWGS!

Last edited:

across the river

Just a guess but they performed better because they are better and their teams are like Georgia's team, many professionals on those teams.
I don’t think you can say Stroud and Young are the top two qbs because they were on good teams. If you look at their ratings on throws under pressure, both were very good compared to say Levis and even Bennett against all their competition. Those are two different dudes. Like I said earlier though, I think it really depends on the coach and system they go to. Russell Wilson thrived in the offense that Seattle ran where they rolled him out all the time, but struggled a ton when asked to stand in the pocket in Denver. Young and Bennett aren’t going to sit in the pocket and pick you apart like Brady or Manning, and if they ask them to, they won’t do well. Don’t mean you can’t win some games with either of them, you just can’t asked them to stand back there and throw a short cross over 6’6” linemen when they will only have 2.5 seconds to get the ball out on average.

Resica

I don’t think you can say Stroud and Young are the top two qbs because they were on good teams. If you look at their ratings on throws under pressure, both were very good compared to say Levis and even Bennett against all their competition. Those are two different dudes. Like I said earlier though, I think it really depends on the coach and system they go to. Russell Wilson thrived in the offense that Seattle ran where they rolled him out all the time, but struggled a ton when asked to stand in the pocket in Denver. Young and Bennett aren’t going to sit in the pocket and pick you apart like Brady or Manning, and if they ask them to, they won’t do well. Don’t mean you can’t win some games with either of them, you just can’t asked them to stand back there and throw a short cross over 6’6” linemen when they will only have 2.5 seconds to get the ball out on average.
I'm not saying that about them because they are on good teams, no doubt they are really good qb's regardless of team but having professional players protecting them and receiving from them certainly helps.

MudDucker

Staff member
I am sure glad that Stet is getting professional grading in this thread, but the grading is wrong!

There isn't a more pressure situation than what Stet faced in the 4th quarter with OSU and not only did he handle the pressure well, he took OSU's defense apart.

He did the same thing against Bama the year before.

Some of y'all don't need to quit your day jobs for a shot at football analysis.

weagle

I've always been a big Stetson Bennett fan and was defending him even when a lot of dog fans were pushing for him to be benched in favor of one of the 5 Stars. I don't think he will do very well in the NFL however. Unlike College, the NFL builds their offenses around a certain kind of QB and they won't alter their offense around Stetson's talents. Same thing happened with Tebow and he was basically a bigger, faster version of Bennett with similar competitive drive and winning stats. I hope I'm wrong. I'd personally rather watch a team led by Stetson than some all the talent in the world, choke expert like Matt Ryan.

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
I've always been a big Stetson Bennett fan and was defending him even when a lot of dog fans were pushing for him to be benched in favor of one of the 5 Stars. I don't think he will do very well in the NFL however. Unlike College, the NFL builds their offenses around a certain kind of QB and they won't alter their offense around Stetson's talents. Same thing happened with Tebow and he was basically a bigger, faster version of Bennett with similar competitive drive and winning stats. I hope I'm wrong. I'd personally rather watch a team led by Stetson than some all the talent in the world, choke expert like Matt Ryan.

"Drew Bledsoe". Can't dance, can't throw, too short, no arm strength, wins football games. :wink:

homerdoh.JPG

Tight Lines

I am sure glad that Stet is getting professional grading in this thread, but the grading is wrong!

There isn't a more pressure situation than what Stet faced in the 4th quarter with OSU and not only did he handle the pressure well, he took OSU's defense apart.

He did the same thing against Bama the year before.

Some of y'all don't need to quit your day jobs for a shot at football analysis.
We'll see. I'm rooting for him but the stats are against him. There is no sure thing in the NFL, and even those that rank highly at the outset sometimes flame out in a spectacular fashion.

His size and age is not a benefit. He's not going to get any bigger and faster at 25.

With that said, his mental focus is phenomenal and he might just surprise us all.

And as far as day jobs go, some of us probably do as well at guessing who will make it as some of the "experts" in the NFL. Case in point, Dimitroff. :)

weagle

"Drew Bledsoe". Can't dance, can't throw, too short, no arm strength, wins football games. :wink:

View attachment 1214521
Drew was a little small, but that's were any similarity ends. He had a lightning fast release, great velocity and the natural instinct to throw receivers open. Plus being one of the great scramblers of all time.

Back to the original topic. I'm not all that high on Bryce Young. I don't think he will hold up in the NFL and makes a lot of mistakes when pressured. I think some team will get burned trying to build a team around him.

Tight Lines

Drew was a little small, but that's were any similarity ends. He had a lightning fast release, great velocity and the natural instinct to throw receivers open. Plus being one of the great scramblers of all time.

Back to the original topic. I'm not all that high on Bryce Young. I don't think he will hold up in the NFL and makes a lot of mistakes when pressured. I think some team will get burned trying to build a team around him.
Bledsoe was 6'5" are you guys talking about Brees?

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
Bledsoe was 6'5" are you guys talking about Brees?

No, I'm talking about Bledsoe. Height, weight, inseam is not what I'm talking about. I'm talking about the comparison between Bledsoe who everybody said couldn't perform in the NFL to Bennett who everybody says can't perform in the NFL.

The difference is Bennett has a much better W/L record and equal or better stats to Bledsoe.

The point being when the "ex spurts" tell you somebody can't do something bet your money on yes they can.

Tight Lines

No, I'm talking about Bledsoe. Height, weight, inseam is not what I'm talking about. I'm talking about the comparison between Bledsoe who everybody said couldn't perform in the NFL to Bennett who everybody says can't perform in the NFL.

The difference is Bennett has a much better W/L record and equal or better stats to Bledsoe.

The point being when the "ex spurts" tell you somebody can't do something bet your money on yes they can.
I'm pulling for him, and we'll see soon enough...it's not an exact science picking these guys...Bosworth and Mandarich come to mind...and Tebow...