Buckwheat question

tunaduck

Planted buckwheat in 3 plots to improve my soil. Only a month in and it’s already going to see looks like. I would like to get another stand of it. Should I bush hog it or disc it in in hopes it reseeds?
IMG_4181.jpeg

That’s a great looking stand.
What works from my experience is to wait 2 to 3 weeks after you first see it flower then bush hog it. It will reseed itself. For soil health you want to plow it under before it starts to flower as a green manure crop. Most folks like to plow it under a few weeks before they are ready to plant their fall plots. The timing doesn’t always work out to when you want to plant your fall plots. The other thing it does is to choke out grass and weeds. Did you have any pics of deer eating it ?

tunaduck

That’s a great looking stand.
What works from my experience is to wait 2 to 3 weeks after you first see it flower then bush hog it. It will reseed itself. For soil health you want to plow it under before it starts to flower as a green manure crop. Most folks like to plow it under a few weeks before they are ready to plant their fall plots. The timing doesn’t always work out to when you want to plant your fall plots. The other thing it does is to choke out grass and weeds. Did you have any pics of deer eating it ?
I’ve had a few deer out in it but they haven’t hammered it. Thanks for the info. I’m gonna bush hog it in a couple weeks. Hope I get another stand of it.