Buford dam

ryanh487

I've made the float but all the way to settles bridge. Fishing was decent, gotta beat the waders to the dam though or you're going to have to keep your line dry for a while. They stack up thick fast. Also, tether your gear. Saved me a few hundred bucks when I got stuck on a rock in the fog and flipped when I got loose. I had the best luck on sinking rainbow trout pattern Rapala type lures, around 2". Of course I snagged the last one I had and lost it right after I started catching. Rooster tails are a close second. I had luck on chartreuse with gold and black with gold.

Coenen

Dam to 20 is a pretty short float depending on your fishing speed. I'd go Dam to Settles. Dam to McGinnis is an all day affair.

Small Rapalas, or similar, and basic spinners will produce just about every day on the tailwater.

b5fish

There is a shoal about 300 yards above the 20 bridge that can be dangerous. Need to be careful and check the water levels prior to going.

mdgreco191

in line spinners, small rapalas, trout magnet, etc... Check the flow before you go. You don't want to be there when they are releasing or about to. Leash or have floats on your gear. I have seen 20 Rock (biggest rapid in this section) eat a lot of gear.

TurkeyJay

Getting in or out of the river at the hwy 20 bridge can be difficult. Float down to settles bridge .

Richf7

Dam to 20 is a pretty short float depending on your fishing speed. I'd go Dam to Settles. Dam to McGinnis is an all day affair.

Small Rapalas, or similar, and basic spinners will produce just about every day on the tailwater.

You've never been fishing with me. ;) I get skunked with the best of 'em.

HydraYak

Fished it many times. Small trout imitations, spoons, worms... etc. Go small! I use 4lb test and ultralight rod/reel combos. It's easier to cast small lures with this setup.

elfiii

Admin
Staff member

This. ^ The good news is Buford dam to GA 20 has some big fish in it. Regardless you won't be disappointed. Take plenty of Rapalas. Sooner or later you're going to lose one.

natureman

As others have said the Dam to Settles would be best. Check the generation schedule at the link below. If generating it is a no go. Wear a lifejacket on this stretch of river because it is required and they check. The only warnings they give are the signs posted in the Lower Pool parking lot . The rock upstream of the hwy.20 bridge can be problematic. it is also known as "drowning rock'. Walk your boat around the shoals if you are not confident. Anything higher than 7MW in the link is a no go. Use the drop down menu for Buford. http://spatialdata.sam.usace.army.m...7P1WLhLVQ7_Vwe_tPfn_8Xr-Hag45GoVr0gaidbK_W4Eo

Last edited: