Builds and associated parts lead times

rmp

I hope this thread can be useful and added upon as others contact manufacturers.

I'd forgotten the completion date on a Benchmark I ordered back in October for a Kimber Montana. It's a profile from Lilja called the mod84m, 6.5mm, 8" twist, stainless, and cut rifled 5R for another 6.5x47L. The one I'm shooting now is a Lilja and has made many a person scratch their head with how impressive it shoots... being such a flyweight. This one is for my brother.

Benchmark cut rifled barrels are running 6 months with button rifled being sooner. The one mentioned above has 4/19/22 completion on the invoice. Fingers crossed.

The .284 Winchester I'm doing next involves a Kelbly Atlas long action repeater. Bartlein #3 in a 9" twist. After shopping around for a suitable stock, I ended up ordering a AG Composites Carbon All Terrain with carbon black camo. M5 inlet with intentions of using the Hawkins Oberndorf bottom metal and a Wyatts box. Not that the additional length is needed now but who knows about the future. ;) I was shooting 180 ELDM's in my 280 AI but have since moved to 168 VLD's just because they were readily available when the 180's disappeared. The 284 will be throated around the 175 Accubond LR.

AG Composites is 3 months with fixed stocks and 4 months with adjustable stocks or anything other than standard LOP.

I've been kicking around the idea of doing a build on the BR case just to see what it's about. After a bit of deliberation, a 6 BRA is in the works.
While it's not a big secret to those who build on the regular, especially things not SAAMI, starting from brass and a sizer then working backwards has its advantages. Most any corresponding die will size the shoulder and neck without a problem. Ensuring the die is sizing at the 200 line is where some drop the ball. If not adequately sizing, one might experience simulated pressure problems via clickers/bolt lift. To me, this is the difference between a machinist and a good smith. I'm working with Whidden and JGS to get this worked out before proceeding.

JGS is 4-5 months on a reamer but they have some on the shelf. It's best to call to see what's available.

My original plan was to go around a #5 contour to get the compromise of precision and weight. Scratch that. I want a pack weight rifle, not a dust collector. Been there, done that.

As it stands, a Manners Ultra Classic stock, Bighorn SR3 short action, and likely a Bartlein #4 carbon. Out of the 3 smiths I've dealt with in recent years, all 3 continue to direct me to Bartlein. 2 of the 3 shoot competitively. One told me if I couldn't locate a Bartlein in a contour I liked, grab a Hawk Hill instead. (to be clear, I have no personal experience with Hawk Hill but I trust what he tells me.) I talked with the smith doing my .284, last week. He just put a Bart #4 carbon on his own rifle. I've no doubt any barrel being produced today is more capable of good groups than I am, but to me it speaks volumes about what they are seeing in the lathe and at the range.

Anyway, He's done quite a few BR repeaters and has been successful. Nick at Hawkins Precision has been extremely helpful with directing me to make this "Ackley" a repeater. The Hunter DBM accepts their mags of course, along with AICS mags. Hawkins is about 2 months away from introducing a BR spacer kit for their Hunter mags. It makes it nearly a flush mount mag that allows me to palm the rifle as I climb.

Manners is approximately 8 months for a stock not in inventory.

I'm waiting to hear back from Bartlein but am optimistic on getting one off the shelf at a distributor.

rmp

I’d like to correct the statement about AG Composites lead times. My confirmation email states 14 weeks for adjustable stocks or LOP changes.

Mark from Bartlein just called me to answer any questions I might have. We talked for about 20 minutes covering experiences, mostly his builds. I told him my plans and he gave great advice. He ended with please call us anytime. We love what we do.

What a great bunch of people in this industry.

Jester896

Senior Clown
It would be good if Bartlein did that for all of their customers. I couldn't get them to return a call or an email when I had a problem.
I also see they are 12 mo out on something not in stock.

Last edited:

rmp

Yes. I hate to hear you had issues. I’ve had nothing less than stellar from them.

Jester896

Senior Clown
just different ends of the spectrum...the were trying to make a sale and they had already made a sale. The other 2 shoot lights out. The 2 problem barrels do now as well that 2 more inches were cut off of both of them.

hard for a builder to eat 2 barrels...especially in these times

ChidJ

I can confirm a year out for Bartlein if you get in line now. I've got 4 barrels in line at varying levels of wait time

Reactions: rmp

ChidJ

they are all just caliber conversions for my DesertTech. Nothing special or fancy. Bartlein is one of the few companies that does DT "prefits". I don't think prefit is the right word but I can't think of a more suitable term

Reactions: rmp

ChidJ

@rmp what barrel length and velocities are you getting running the 180 bergers out of the 280 AI?

@Jester896 I have a couple Proof Carbons as well. They are fine for certain applications. If I'm gonna run them in an event or on a hunt where weight is relevant, I'll pop the proof barrel in. But if that's not relevant, I'll run a heavier, longer steel barrel if only to better balance the rifle. Also, fluted steel looks cooler than CF, IMO, and looking cool is half the battle. There is also the issue that the smith I get the barrels made up at only works with Proof or Bartlein for DT

Last edited:

rmp

It’s a 26” Rock Creek and I was shooting 180 ELDM’s.
I’ll have to check for you but thinking it was around 2850fps. I can assure you they hit with authority.

ChidJ

cool. was just curious. been getting components together to load up some 280 AI and was just curious about how fast folks were pushing them

Jester896

Senior Clown
ordered bolt knobs from PT&G on 12/06...the third one came today...the other 2 came last month.

rmp

PM sent Chid, with load information.

6 BRA reamer is ordered from JGS. They have a .268” neck version in stock but I don’t want to turn necks. .272” is what it’ll be.

Last edited:

rmp

I finally got shipping confirmation from Benchmark. Delivery scheduled for Monday the 6th. Right at 1.5 months past the scheduled completion date.

Thought I’d check on my order with AG Composites as it was supposed to be complete May 27th. I was told they were 8 weeks behind. Sad face. So…not even close on their original estimates.

Got a Krieger .308 blank coming. Fingers crossed something doesn’t fall through.

rmp

For anyone shopping, Greg at Bugholes got a shipment of Bart’s. Possibly other items too but I was waiting on a certain barrel that just came in stock.

rmp

Manners at 13.75” LOP with Marine Tex bedding is 28.6 ounces. AG CAT as it came with same LOP is 28 ounces.

Reactions: Dub