Bulk Backing

Coenen

Been kicking around throwing together a 7wt setup for freshwater streamer-ing and maybe some light duty inshore. Lucked into two spools of WF7F(Rio Grande and Rio Saltwater) on the cheap over the weekend. Probably going to pick up the reel and a spare spool in the near future.

Question: From what I've seen online, dacron backing seems like it mostly comes in 100yd spools. Meanwhile 7/8 size reels often seat 200yds of backing behind a 100ft fly line. How are you guys making up the difference in line capacity? Are you splicing together two 100-yarders? Using mono? Sourcing larger spools of dacron locally or elsewhere?

F.A.R.R.

You can get the bigger spools.

Another option would be to bring your reel and line to a fly shop and ask them to spool it up- they keep really big bulk spools of backing on hand

northgeorgiasportsman

Staff member
Does it really matter? I've never checked the difference between backing and braided line, but they could serve the same purpose. I understand if you're targeting salt water species or maybe stripers, but in my 25 years of fly fishing, I've been taken into my backing exactly 1 time. I wouldn't worry about it too much.

Coenen

Now there's some real info! Thanks. ? You never know how big a deal something is until you do it. Apparently this may not be nearly as big of a deal as I was initially thinking. I don't see a striper getting 400ft out on me. If he does, I'm probably not going to catch him anyway. Same in the salt.

Given that, I may just be vain and splice two different color small spools just so I can look good.

Looking good > Being good, right?

northgeorgiasportsman

Staff member
Now there's some real info! Thanks. ? You never know how big a deal something is until you do it. Apparently this may not be nearly as big of a deal as I was initially thinking. I don't see a striper getting 400ft out on me. If he does, I'm probably not going to catch him anyway. Same in the salt.

Given that, I may just be vain and splice two different color small spools just so I can look good.

Looking good > Being good, right?

If you look good, you feel good. Just do it.

nadams

Use 30lb braid, it’s thicker doesn’t take as much. I order the cheap stuff on amazon. Pretty good quality for backing anyway

Latest posts