Bulk corn

common man

Hoping to buy some bulk corn towards the end of August. Just wondering those of you who have purchased that way in the past, how much does a drum cost and approximately how many pounds of corn is in a drum? I know with current prices it may be a lot higher, I'm just trying to get an idea.

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
Gator is spot on . If you can find a farmer that sales it to hunter’s or buy enough from one to make it worth his time it will save you some money . Most want $45-$50 a barrel . I got some last year for $35 and I asked him if he wanted anymore business and he said as fast as it was going he’d be out before he got his corn planted this year .

Jim Boyd

$35 for us, I think, in 2020

Pretty sure it was $45 last year.

have not checked this year but know it will be higher.

If you don’t buy til August you may well get 2022 corn.

350-375 lbs per drum by my calculations.

sghoghunter

I use the black screw on lid barrels and they’ll hold 6 1/5 50lb bags. Everywhere around here was $50 a drum last year except one place and his was $35 but had weavels and was pretty dusty but deer didn’t seem to mind.

nc dawg

BOLO at walmart,they put it on sale about this time last year, they put it up front about three or four pallets of it…$3.00 a bag.It seems like they were 48 bags on a pallet around $150 a pallet nearly 2000 lbs..
I bought all they had,I’m sure it will be higher this year,last time I seen it it was $10 and some change a bag…but who knows.be worth lookin, good luck.

frankwright

I was in TSC a few weeks ago and it was $14.95 for a 50lb bag.
Online they are showing 40# bags for $10.29!
Deer are going on a diet this year!
I am looking into getting a barrel full, my hunting partner has a tractor to unload it. Only problem is it seems to be dirty with a lot of chaff which stops my feeder motors.

godogs57

I must not be as strong as most guys but I can’t maneuver a full, 350#, 55 gallon drum off my truck. When I was feeding deer I’d drive up in the field and they’d auger it straight into the bed of my truck. Take home, shovel into drums that were out of the weather.

Jim Boyd

I must not be as strong as most guys but I can’t maneuver a full, 350#, 55 gallon drum off my truck. When I was feeding deer I’d drive up in the field and they’d auger it straight into the bed of my truck. Take home, shovel into drums that were out of the weather.

I can’t either.

Too darn old!!!

6FCC264F-BDE6-463A-B618-C7E1708A2C64.jpeg

humblehunter22

I was in TSC a few weeks ago and it was $14.95 for a 50lb bag.
Online they are showing 40# bags for $10.29!
Deer are going on a diet this year!
I am looking into getting a barrel full, my hunting partner has a tractor to unload it. Only problem is it seems to be dirty with a lot of chaff which stops my feeder motors.

Looking to spend a considerable amount of time hunting around the oaks myself. They managed before corn & will be doing so at least on my end for the time being. We have a problem with hogs in the area, be danged if spend near 15 something a sack of corn just to have those pests get to it before the deer can.

Gator89

BOLO at walmart,they put it on sale about this time last year, they put it up front about three or four pallets of it…$3.00 a bag.It seems like they were 48 bags on a pallet around $150 a pallet nearly 2000 lbs..
I bought all they had,I’m sure it will be higher this year,last time I seen it it was $10 and some change a bag…but who knows.be worth lookin, good luck.

Deer Corn 50# bags are 40 per pallet = 2000 lbs / pallet = 1 ton

Deer Corn 40# bags are 50 per pallet = 2000 lbs / pallet = 1 ton

Double Duty Deer Corn 35# bags are 55 per pallet = 1925 lbs per pallet

Apple Flavor Deer Corn 30# bags are 63 per pallet = 1890 lbs per pallet

godogs57

But again, I don’t feed corn anymore. Haven’t in eight or so years. Just plant my Whitetail Institute food plots. Piggie sightings have nosedived. Killing nice bucks that don’t turn nocturnal when hitting corn feeders too.

gapierce

But again, I don’t feed corn anymore. Haven’t in eight or so years. Just plant my Whitetail Institute food plots. Piggie sightings have nosedived. Killing nice bucks that don’t turn nocturnal when hitting corn feeders too.
How big of a property to you hunt? Do your neighbors still feed corn?

godogs57

250 or thereabouts. No idea if neighbors feed or not. I know if one guy that feeds right next to me but he’s if no real consequence to me. My plots handle their feed needs pretty nicely.

Big7

The Oracle
Just thinking out loud here...

Before our family farm sold to the guy that leased it 8- 9 years, maybe longer planted soy beans.
I got a few scoops free.

If you put out any kind of beans or peas, deer will pass up the corn and tear them up. Big time.

My thought is, I always tried to put out something a little different when everybody and his brother was putting out corn.

There may be somebody with a silo of something else. I'd try to get something besides corn.
Purina Sweet Tina (sp) is really good but it's probably gone through the roof with Putin's war.
Them wealthy horse folk will buy that no matter the cost.

My 2 cents.
?

sghoghunter

Just thinking out loud here...

Before our family farm sold to the guy that leased it 8- 9 years, maybe longer planted soy beans.
I got a few scoops free.

If you put out any kind of beans or peas, deer will pass up the corn and tear them up. Big time.

My thought is, I always tried to put out something a little different when everybody and his brother was putting out corn.

There may be somebody with a silo of something else. I'd try to get something besides corn.
Purina Sweet Tina (sp) is really good but it's probably gone through the roof with Putin's war.
Them wealthy horse folk will buy that no matter the cost.

My 2 cents.
?

Past couple years I’ve done that exact thing. I mixed roasted soybeans in with corn and the deer loved it but the problem is the cost. Last time I bought a bag of that stuff it was around $22 a bag and that was last year