Bullet choice

Nimrod71

I would go with the Pro Hunter. I have killed a lot of deer with them. Speer are good but Sierra shoots better in my rifles.

Rich M

I haven't shot the speer hot core but used Sierra Pro Hunters in 3006 and 243 - the best shooting bullet I've found for my guns. We're talking an 1-1.5 inch groups at 250 yards for both rounds. We always laugh as it is the cheapest bullets we shoot and it shoots the best.

chuckdog

I shoot both.

I've used the Pro Hunter for a much longer period with great success.

Not taking anything away from the Speer, but the Sierra will likely always be my first choice for deer size game.

After making that statement I've been using Speer 165gr Boat Tail loaded in 30-06 for what little hunting I've done this year.

rosewood

My favorite.270Win load was 140gr Nosler BT over a healthy dose of H4831SC.

Bang flops or short death runs.
I use the 140 SGKs with H4831SC. Accurate load too.

Reactions: Dub

280 Man

Banned
Easier to load, more accurate, better at 200+ yards.

I know we like what we like but unless you target shoot, how many 200 plus yard shots do you take at game? Ive never had any loading issues with flat based bullets, matter of fact, some the best accuracy Ive ever had has come with flat base bullets. Hornady 139 gr and 154 gr Spire point, 140 gr Sierra Pro-hunters.

According to a Federal Ballistic calculator, take it for what it's worth. If you take a 180 gr Partition and 180 gr Accubond in 30.06 and start them both at 2700 fps, with a 200 yd sight-in the Partition drops 48.7 inches at 500 yds compared to 47.4 for the Accu-bond and the wind deflection is 20.7 inches and 19 respectively.

rosewood

Have a load with the 65 SGK in the .223 using H335. Loaned single shot CVA stalker to buddy for his 6 or 7 year old to hunt with. Killed his first doe couple of weeks back with it. Ended up gut shooting in the rear quarter. Shot right where he should had the deer been facing the other way. Bullet busted up ham, ripped through guts and was complete pass thru. They had to track her, but that was bullet placement not selection clearly. Was quite impressed with the results. He had the wrong end of the deer. But he is learning. I am not a big proponent of deer hunting with a .22 caliber round, but results are results.

Rosewood