Bullet weights for a Savage 10 in .308

I need to prep my Savage 10 for a big game hunting trip, and with the availability of .308 ammunition I wanted to refine my search. I need some rounds to sight in a new scope, practice at the range and 80 rounds to take on the trip. So looking for that much ammo might take some time.

What bullet weight seems to work best with that barrel for accuracy? Brand of ammunition have you had success with? Let me know if anyone has some partial boxes so I can test at the range……I am sure that I can find something to trade or buy outright.

Thanks.

Mars

I don't have a Savage but my Tikka shoots 150s pretty well but I get slightly better groups with 180gr barnes. To answer your question, I'd also recommend 150 SSTs.

bighonkinjeep

Well If it's gonna take 80 rounds of .308 to kill whatever "Big Game" you're after,:shoot: You might want to consider a big ol magnum instead.

I have a couple of Savages in .308 but every rifle is different. Way to many variables to predict which brand weight and charge yours is going to prefer. As a general rule with a 1-10 twist something in the 150-165,168-180 gr weight class should shoot pretty well.
Darn sure don't sight in with one brand or weight and hunt with another and just expect anywhere near the same point of impact. Zero with what you hunt with.
Federal Power Shok shoots pretty well out of mine for a factory ammo and used to be priced right for casual range use and generating empty brass. I've killed a hog with the Power Shok and it did what it was supposed to, and my brother has killed some really nice bucks with it in .270.
My preferred hunting bullet is the 165gr Accubond which I hand load. That being said I also load reduced recoil 125gr in a cut down Savage .308 for the nieces nephews and grandkids that hold accuracy pretty well and kill big deer just fine.
Good luck.

Rich M

Still waiting to see if the target is deer or elk or antelope.

Elk would be 165 or 180 gr - partition or bonded bullet
Deer or antelope would be 150 gr - any 150 gr bullet
(I shot a big mule deer with a 100 gr 243 so any 308 will work)

transfixer

I believe the savage is going to be 1 in 10 twist, in which case 165's or 168's will probably shoot more consistent than 150's, at shorter distances it won't be a big deal, I have no recommendations on brand, as I don't use factory ammo, but every rifle is different as someone else stated, its going to be difficult to find assorted brands to try, so you may have to settle with whatever brand you find available

Still waiting to see if the target is deer or elk or antelope.

Elk would be 165 or 180 gr - partition or bonded bullet
Deer or antelope would be 150 gr - any 150 gr bullet
(I shot a big mule deer with a 100 gr 243 so any 308 will work)

I need 80 rounds because my 2 boys and myself will be using this same rifle for 2 weeks in South Africa. The range should not exceed 250-300 yards. Smallest target is a wart hog and the largest is a giraffe. The paperwork for one gun is a lot so I am limiting myself on this trip to this one .308.

I believe the savage is going to be 1 in 10 twist, in which case 165's or 168's will probably shoot more consistent than 150's, at shorter distances it won't be a big deal, I have no recommendations on brand, as I don't use factory ammo, but every rifle is different as someone else stated, its going to be difficult to find assorted brands to try, so you may have to settle with whatever brand you find available

That is a good starting point to begin my search. I have asked my buddies if they have any partial boxes laying around that I can start experimenting on.

Sensing that I will have to start trading 9mm to get some boxes.....

Rich M

Don't worry about folks poo-pooing the ammo volume. I won't travel with less than 60 rounds (3 boxes) in case some airline destroys my scope and need to re-zero or replace. To Africa, it'd be 100 or more rounds easy. 5 boxes isn't excessive.

Hope you guys have fun. Africa is gonna be an experience.

165 partitions should handle most of the critters if you wanted to stick w 1 bullet size & type. A giraffe seems awful big tho - maybe 180 or 200 gr for that? The outfitter should be able to confirm.

Don't worry about folks poo-pooing the ammo volume. I won't travel with less than 60 rounds (3 boxes) in case some airline destroys my scope and need to re-zero or replace. To Africa, it'd be 100 or more rounds easy. 5 boxes isn't excessive.

Hope you guys have fun. Africa is gonna be an experience.

165 partitions should handle most of the critters if you wanted to stick w 1 bullet size & type. A giraffe seems awful big tho - maybe 180 or 200 gr for that? The outfitter should be able to confirm.

Agree, there are NO stores to pick up more when you are out in the bush. Last trip we took 80 rounds and borrowed a rifle for the boys. I didn't think it was fair to have them suffer the mule kick from a .375 Ruger!

Midway through the last trip we had to resight in the gun after the rifle got bounced around in the truck for a week. We were missing 'chip shots' and found it to be way off when we set out targets.

Agree on the giraffe, I might borrow something bigger for that. Need to warm my wife up to the mount being in the house, not like I can sneak that one in unnoticed!!!

trial&error

I have no idea what it takes to kill a giraffe. Saying that I would probably stick with bonded or cor loct bullets. I imagine shot placement and penetration is crucial. I've seen videos with 5 lions trying to take one down. I would probably suggest a magnum if you have one 30 cal or bigger.

If this is as expensive as I imagine I would definitely take a second gun. For my elk hunt I'm planning on at least 2 rifles just for me with 50 rounds each.

Extra ammo never hurts. My fil says his south america hunts the guides prefer ammo as tips. They either can't get it or they can sell it to the next customer who really needs it. For even larger tips.

GA Puma

Considering your caliber and twist rate like may others, I would suggest a 165 grain bullet. Sierra and Nosler bullets are forgiving when it comes to bullet jump. If your going with Sierra stick to a flat base bullet.

I would start with Nosler Partitions and if they do well out to 300 I would use them. Your next best and more than likely a little more accurate would be the White tip Accubonds. If your gun shots core-lokt bullets good don't look past them, they're flat out a great hunting bullet. If you get to reload them the .308 loves Varget.

I went to Africa a few years ago and came across 4 Giraffe, a .308 is light for that animal. If it's all you have load up 220 grain bonded bullets and you'll still have to be close. I recommend a 338 or 375 for them.

When a person hunts in Africa it becomes a part of you, you'll be planning future trips. Have fun...

Here's my archery Kudu. 1619971674538258078762.jpg