Bummed

sprewett

Last night I was informed that Pine Log WMA had been sold! I knew that it was for sale but honestly I had thought with the amount of land and price that it wouldn't sale but......Here we are on the cusp of loosing another great public property track. While I get it Aubrey Corp. isn't a 501c3 and desires to make a profit. The profit from a sale especially in today's prices is much greater than a state lease agreement. It is still a heavy blow to us guys and gals local to Pine Log. Roughly 15,000 acres of beautiful rolling hills and even a few I would argue as mountains. While there were/are only a couple scheduled deer/bear hunts per season there is plenty to do there for the outdoorsman. I love going there squirrel hunting and looking for hogs. Fun fact I believe the Ga state record black bear was harvested from Pine Log.
Apparently there will be approximately 16,000 houses and some heavy industrial occupying the beautiful property. There is a point to all of this and it isn't to grumble, although it seems I did do a great job of that as well, does anyone know if Pine Log will still be huntable next season? Will there be any public land left there? I couldn't remember the gentlemen's name who is on the forum that had a huge knowledge and works for the state I believe. If someone could tag him that would be awesome.

Bartow and Gordon are booming with industry popping up and land sales . It’s not surprising and it certainly will be developed

sprewett

Proximity to the -I-75 corridor helped ( hurt ) making the land more attractive.
@westcobbdog I imagine you are correct. Guess on the flip side with the EV battery plant coming also two miles from my house and the growth I can sell my house in a few years for a fortune and be able to buy some land and house waaaay outside the metro area.

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
WRD should have bought it when they had the chance. I would have been willing to pay an exorbitant one time license fee to make it happen. Less WMA's is a bad idea nationwide.

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
I began my public land hunting in GA there so it’s a special place for me. Hate to see it go.

sprewett

WRD should have bought it when they had the chance. I would have been willing to pay an exorbitant one time license fee to make it happen. Less WMA's is a bad idea nationwide.
I was told today at a birthday party that the state bought some more land in Paulding near Vinson Mtn and also some somewhere near Cedartown in Polk

Sixes

Where is the info coming from about it being sold, I would think that someone would cover it online.

Not saying it's not true, but you would think a sale that big would make the news

westcobbdog

@westcobbdog I imagine you are correct. Guess on the flip side with the EV battery plant coming also two miles from my house and the growth I can sell my house in a few years for a fortune and be able to buy some land and house waaaay outside the metro area.
PM me for information on a Realtor to help you sell high then buy low!!

Last edited by a moderator:

ucfireman

Maybe so!!!!! On the flip side I guess all development will push a ton of animals down Boston Creek and Stamp Creek into Allatoona.
Some may but most will probably be killed by cars.
Agree, I was vocal but in the end Kemp must not have wanted to have that place be his legacy, instead the Rivian will be.
Called "Rivian's tax incentives from Georgia named worst economic development deal of the year - Atlanta Business Chronicle.