Busted reticle in a '70s Weaver M4, and reasons I hoard...

Railroader

Billy’s Security Guard.
Don't know how it happened, but since last year while in the safe, the reticle broke on the old Weaver that's been on my straight stock 336 since the mid 80s.

All it took to keep the Ol' Rifle period correct was a quick search of The Hoard, and I found a nice Japan made Tasco fixed 4x. That scope is still crazy clean and clear, and fit the bill just right.

Rifle stayed true to it's roots, and is back in bizness.

That's why I hoard.

Screenshot_20201023-093053.png

Last edited:

Stroker

I'm surprised you found one. I would like a 4x40 for my .444.

Stroker

I've had the thing for a buncha years, just in case I ever needed it.

Don't even recall how or where I got it, but glad now..

View attachment 1045378

I've got a good Weaver K6, 6x36 in my collection of old scopes, good scope but that sucker is a mile long.

Hillbilly stalker

The old weavers were pretty decent scopes in their day. My buddy went thru 3 of the newer ones on his ruger .44 carbine. It busted the reticle in all three. The store told him they would not replace another, he had to buy another scope. The recoil is next to nothing on the .44 carbines.

Nimrod71

I don't why but 44 mag. brake a good many scopes. It got one of mine a few years back. I like the old Weavers too. They remind me of when I was young and fit.

Railroader

Billy’s Security Guard.
Still got a couple of the old blue steel ones left, and like the connection to the past... I'll use them till they quit like this one did..:LOL:

The Original Rooster

Mayor of Spring Hill
There's nothing wrong with those old Tasco's or other optics made in Japan. They were well made until they moved manufacturing to China.

Stroker

Still got a couple of the old blue steel ones left, and like the connection to the past... I'll use them till they quit like this one did..:LOL:

Yep, my K6 is blue steel, with a nice worn patina on it. I keep a look out on the used gun racks for something from that time period to mount it on.

Mauser

I'm fixing to mount an old 6x redfield widefield on my 1984 marlin 336 35 rem. Had been using it on my 7x57 mauser but she's out of commission with a cracked bolt face