Caliber for deer hunting

gunnurse

I have never hunted deer. But, my brother called me about deer that have eaten his entire garden this summer. He has asked me to come and rid his property of one or a few. The only caliber rifle that I have is a .223 (Mini-14.)

The question is, can one actually use this caliber (soft tip or hollow point) to take deer.

TIMBO1985

I use a 223 when shooting on crop permits it might just be me but it seems like it hits harder out past 75 to 100 yards any closer and seems like it goes through so fast they always run and hardly ever a good blood trail , 100 yards if they run it’s usually not far and great blood trail

across the river

They make "deer cartridges" in 223. I would get a box of those, rather than just using the standard target cartridges.

sleepr71

That^^^ or Barnes 55gr TSX/TTSX “copper” bullets. I’ve had complete pass through,at 200 yds out of my AR using those. I say keep the distance to 100yds,or below & make good shots. Shot placement is key ....

thumper523

55 gr Hornady GMX in 5.56 was the only thing I could get to group in my Mini 14. I think mine had a 1:9 twist which means it doesn't like bullets over 55 grain, that's what I found.
I killed Hogs and Yotes with that set up, no deer though.
I believe yours is a 5.56, but .223 will work.

delacroix

BANNED
Kinda hard to recommend ammo right now as the common fighting cartridges are sold out everywhere.

If you'd shoot it with buckshot you'd probably find the same shot with 223 deer bullets satisfactory.