Caliber roll call, anyone?

Lukikus2

I am a eye for a good wrist rocket with ball bearings. Made a flip or two. Too. Kilt a few items with them also. It's a nice round to have handy, know how to use and how to make one. Just as lethal as some of these rounds listed.

Mattval

.458 Lott
.404 Jeffery
.375 H&H (x2)
9.3x62
.35 Whelen
.358 Winchester
.35 Remington (x2)
8x57 Mauser
.303 British (.311)
7.62x54 (.311)
7.62x39
.32 Remington
.300 Win. Mag.
.300 WSM
.30-06 Springfield (x3)
.308 Winchester
.30 Remington
7.5 Swiss
.270 Winchester (x2)
.260 Remington
.243 Winchester
.22 Rimfire (x2)

12-gauge (x7)
20-ga

.45 ACP
10mm
9X18 Makarov
9mm Luger
.38 Special
Ga hunter 60. Do you have any pics of that 404 Jeffery? any stories to go with it as well?

Mattval

Also I love how gun guys naturally list all there cartridges in order ascending or descending by caliber. Its awesome.

GAHUNTER60

Ga hunter 60. Do you have any pics of that 404 Jeffery? any stories to go with it as well?

Yes, there are a lot of stories that go with my .404 Jeffery, and not all of them good. In fact, most of them are not so good, including the one where it could have got me killed by a cow elephant in Zimbabwe!

To begin with, the rifle began life as a .375 H&H. I was determined to have a .404 Jeffery, and on the advice of the gunsmith that was going to rebarrel whatever rifle I chose for the base gun, I bought a Ruger RSM in .375 off Gunbroker. As it turns out, actions in .375 H&H are a crap shoot as to whether the fat .404 rounds will function in the action once the four pounds of metal are removed from the feed rails and the bolt face to accommodate the big, rimless round. My dice came up snake eyes!

When I got the rifle back, it was downright beautiful -- and it shot MOA with my rather hot handloads! Unfortunately, functio-wise, it was a nightmare. It would chamber rounds fine with calm, normal bolt working in non pressure situations. However, try to chamber a round in the field to get a second shot at fleeing game (or, worse, at charging game), and it would jam every time! To top it off, it would misfire at least once in every four shots. We thought it was head space, but the head space checked out.

Anyway, I bought the gun to go to Africa, and dang it, it was going to go!

So in 2003, I loaded up my wife, three teenagers, and my .404 and headed to the Damaraland in Namibia for a plains game hunt. I mainly intended for my boys to do most of the shooting, but there were two animals that I had on my "list" for the .404 -- a Hartmann's Mountain Zebra (only found in Namibia) and a cape eland, the world's largest antelope, weighing in between 1,800 and 2,000 pounds.

As it turned out, I ended up with two of the zebras, and a great, old eland bull. The gun did not misfire, and only jammed in non critical situations.

Unfortunately, the same could not be said for its next trip to Africa, which I shall have to go into later due to time constraints!

Mattval

Yes, there are a lot of stories that go with my .404 Jeffery, and not all of them good. In fact, most of them are not so good, including the one where it could have got me killed by a cow elephant in Zimbabwe!

To begin with, the rifle began life as a .375 H&H. I was determined to have a .404 Jeffery, and on the advice of the gunsmith that was going to rebarrel whatever rifle I chose for the base gun, I bought a Ruger RSM in .375 off Gunbroker. As it turns out, actions in .375 H&H are a crap shoot as to whether the fat .404 rounds will function in the action once the four pounds of metal are removed from the feed rails and the bolt face to accommodate the big, rimless round. My dice came up snake eyes!

When I got the rifle back, it was downright beautiful -- and it shot MOA with my rather hot handloads! Unfortunately, functio-wise, it was a nightmare. It would chamber rounds fine with calm, normal bolt working in non pressure situations. However, try to chamber a round in the field to get a second shot at fleeing game (or, worse, at charging game), and it would jam every time! To top it off, it would misfire at least once in every four shots. We thought it was head space, but the head space checked out.

So in 2003, I loaded up my wife, three teenagers, and my .404 and headed to the Damaraland in Namibia for a plains game hunt. I mainly intended for my boys to do most of the shooting, but there were two animals that I had on my "list" for the .404 -- a Hartmann's Mountain Zebra (only found in Namibia) and a cape eland, the world's largest antelope, weighing in between 1,800 and 2,000 pounds.

As it turned out, I ended up with two of the zebras, and a great, old eland bull. The gun did not misfire, and only jammed in non critical situations.

Unfortunately, the same could not be said for its next trip to Africa, which I shall have to go into later due to time constraints!
Thank you GaHunter60! cant wait to hear more!

SC Hunter

I am excited to read more.