Call conditioning

rutandstrut

It depends on what type of call you are talking about. I will assume that you are talking about Friction Calls:

Glass or Crystal: I Grit Blast with 220 Grit Aluminum Oxide. If the surface needs to be touched up I use 60-80 Grit Gator Grit Sandpaper depending on how raspy I wan the call to be.

Slate: I use a Maroon Scotch Brite Pad to scrub the surface as needed. You can also use a lighter or candle to make any Slate Call sound better. I do not care who made it, it will make it sound better!

Silver Aluminum: Scrub the surface as needed with Maroon Scotch Brite Pad.

Treated Silver Aluminum: Use Call as received and do nothing to it. I have a call that I made over 2 Years ago with this Material that has never been conditioned and still works as good as the day it was made.

Anodized Aluminum: Use Alcohol Shot Prep available at your local Pharmacy or use Alcohol on a cottom Ball to clean Call surface as needed. Do not condition this type of Calling Surface or you will have to do it everytime you want to use the call because it will start oxidizing!

Box Calls: clean off old chalk with a clean dry cloth and apply new chalk to paddle.

Hope that this helps!

rutandstrut

Maybe one of the Moderators can Sticky this Post so that it will stay at the top so that others that are looking for Conditioning Information can find it quick and easy!

Dudley Do-Wrong

The only thing I can add is that I sometimes use rain chalk on aluminum, glass, and crystal.

Maybe one of the Moderators can Sticky this Post so that it will stay at the top so that others that are looking for Conditioning Information can find it quick and easy!

Good idea

rutandstrut

The only thing I can add is that I sometimes use rain chalk on aluminum, glass, and crystal.

Good idea

I use Rain Chalk on the Tip of the Striker only.

The Direction that are included with the If you read the direction that come with the Rain Chalk. It tells you to put a drop of thin CA (Super Glue) on the tip of the Striker. Once you do that you place the tip of the Striker on the Red Dot in the middle of the chalk and rotate it with a little down pressure. This will allow some of the rosin impregnated chalk to stick to the tip of the Striker. Allow Striker Tip to Dry and then Buff it lightly with a Maroon Scotch Brite Pad prior to calling. This will fill in all the pores on the end of the Striker Tip and allow the Striker to grab the Calling Surface better!

mike bell

rut&strut,
Can you explain this a little more? Ive never heard of it.

You can also use a lighter or candle to make any Slate Call sound better. I do not care who made it, it will make it sound better!

P

potsticker

Ive allways used a candle on my wooden striker, a little heat, then water, dry.A little water on the true slates, a good cloth rub and sand paper. Mouth calls, gargle with listerine, soak call in warm saltwater. Not only will you sound sweet, youll smell sweet!

Dudley Do-Wrong

Rain Chalk???

Invented by a man named Jim Davis, I believe it was initially made for box calls but was found to have a variety of uses. I use it on Scratch box strikers, friction calls, etc,. You can find it at Midwest Turkey Supply and some call makers carry it. It's is the size of an ice cube (I believe ice cube trays are used to make it) and is very hard (for chalk) and runs about $5.

whitetaco02

Slate: I use a Maroon Scotch Brite Pad to scrub the surface as needed. You can also use a lighter or candle to make any Slate Call sound better. I do not care who made it, it will make it sound better!

Can you explain this process? Thanks

Dudley Do-Wrong

Box calls:

Never ever do any sanding on box calls. Box calls are made to specific measurements and sanding can alter those specifics. Use chalk that is oil free, rail road calk for instance. You should only have to chalk the paddle and not the edges of the box itself. To clean the paddle/lid, use scotch brite (NOT sand paper) and do not clean aggressively. Keep you box call stored in a dry, cool area (high humidity is bad).

GADAWGS

The trick with heating slate is to hold a flame to the slate and wave it around.
Anyone interested in Rain Chalk, let me know. Also, I too sometimes rub rainchalk on friction call surfaces, makes a difference

MAN! I am a beginner to turkey hunting with one season (three hunts) under my belt. I did not harvest a tom, but got a chance to hear my good friend fight with a grown hen about who was boss girl. Oooo Weeee I loved that!!!:banana: I have really enjoyed just reading what you guys are saying and not having even a clue about any of this. :banginghe:banginghe I used regular sand paper to scratch my jack-pot call. Shoot, for as mouth calls I am making some sounds.

Please do not stop writing threads. My wife now has to run me to bed and I am 40 years old:whip: because I am on the computer all night picking up info. THANKS

frankwright

I have trouble getting my Glass to sound right, do I really need to get more agressive with the conditioning? I hate to mess up all the pretty graphics but pretty won't kill a turkey.

GADAWGS

Alot of people will rub the stone, sandpaper, etc back and forth over one area of a call. But what this does is press the filings you just rubbed away back into the call. I rub in ONE direction and then blow that dust away. Makes a big difference on how often you have to condition that call.
The heat on the slate surface: slate will retain moisture which effects the sound of your call. Hold the call upside down and a lighter an inch or two away from the surface and move it in circles under the slate. You will actually see the moisture disapating from the slate

whitetaco02

Lee, once you get done conditioning the glass call is it a good idea to go behind it with one of those green brillo type pads? Does that help?