Call conditioning

Gecko

Slate: I use a Maroon Scotch Brite Pad to scrub the surface as needed. You can also use a lighter or candle to make any Slate Call sound better. I do not care who made it, it will make it sound better!

rutandstrut mentioned this in an earlier post. I want to understand how this is done. Slate is a great surface, and if it can be made to sound better I am all ears. More specifically, how do you use the flame to condition the surface? Thanks.

Gecko

I read back up a few posts and saw where you explained the procedure, sorry.

yoteaholic

I have had a lot of people ask me about my method to make any slate call sound better. You can use a Candle, Lighter or any other heat source.

1. Light the Heat Source.
2. Hold the Call upside down.
3. Move it toward the heat source.
4. You will immediately see a moisture ring form on the Slate.
5. This whole process only takes a few seconds. You do not want to get the call too hot!
6. The moisture ring will rapidly approach the edge of the call.
7. Once it does, remove the call from the heat source and allow it to cool down.
8. Use a maroon scotchbrite pad to scrub the soot off the Slate.
9. Your call is now ready to call better than it ever has!

used this advise last year from one of the members here, with great results!!

GobblerFever

I'm not sure if there are any mouth call conditioning threads, but what disinfectant do you use? I have heard to not use anything with alcohol in it...also, how long do you let the calls soak in the disinfectant before taking them out to store them?

Roostem33

I'm not sure if there are any mouth call conditioning threads, but what disinfectant do you use? I have heard to not use anything with alcohol in it...also, how long do you let the calls soak in the disinfectant before taking them out to store them?

I use crest Pro Health it's alcohol free, just rinse after use and store in a cool place. I put mine in the freezer in the off season and you can keep them for a few years.

killa86

buddy of mine uses a empty snuff can with a small piece of sponge with little mouthwash on it keeps mouth calls moist and leaves you minty fresh.:cool:

Tacklebox

Found a YouTube video for rainchalk. He shows how to use and condition with the chalk. Rainchalk demo by woodbuchercalls.

Tacklebox

whats the difference in strickers. I see some that the ends look flat (like a new pencil). And others are more rounded. What about the different types of woods an material ones. Is that Jus a preference.

Sting'em!

Yeah, what are the rules on striker conditioning? I read somewhere that you could take sandpaper to the tip, so I gave it a shot on my Woodhaven flare tip striker and all l ended up doing was misshaping the tip from its original shape. It didn't seem like I was doing it too hard or much a the time.

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
Yeah, what are the rules on striker conditioning? I read somewhere that you could take sandpaper to the tip, so I gave it a shot on my Woodhaven flare tip striker and all l ended up doing was misshaping the tip from its original shape. It didn't seem like I was doing it too hard or much a the time.

I dont know the rules, but when my striker just slid on the call, I found a rock laying next to me, scratched the tip a little and it gripped real good and started barking!

I am gonna go put my torch on the slate......:D

Any one know what is used on he surface of a waterproof box call? I have purchased 3 of them oer the years. They always work a few times and then start to deminish rapidly. They are a call that I rarely use, but am tired of wasting money on. Is it a specific type of paint thats applied? Can I just sand them clean and use them as a chalk box?

r_hammett86

Any one know what is used on he surface of a waterproof box call? I have purchased 3 of them oer the years. They always work a few times and then start to deminish rapidly. They are a call that I rarely use, but am tired of wasting money on. Is it a specific type of paint thats applied? Can I just sand them clean and use them as a chalk box?

i have a primos wet box and i just use regular chalk on it w/o sanding it. it works great. i think its been 3 years and still running!:flag:

BgDadyBeardBustr

Gone But Not Forgotten
What about conditioning ceramic pot calls? Is it needed and what do you use, if needed? Thanks, Tim

southwind

It depends on what type of call you are talking about. I will assume that you are talking about Friction Calls:

Glass or Crystal: I Grit Blast with 220 Grit Aluminum Oxide. If the surface needs to be touched up I use 60-80 Grit Gator Grit Sandpaper depending on how raspy I wan the call to be.

Slate: I use a Maroon Scotch Brite Pad to scrub the surface as needed. You can also use a lighter or candle to make any Slate Call sound better. I do not care who made it, it will make it sound better!

Silver Aluminum: Scrub the surface as needed with Maroon Scotch Brite Pad.

Treated Silver Aluminum: Use Call as received and do nothing to it. I have a call that I made over 2 Years ago with this Material that has never been conditioned and still works as good as the day it was made.

Anodized Aluminum: Use Alcohol Shot Prep available at your local Pharmacy or use Alcohol on a cottom Ball to clean Call surface as needed. Do not condition this type of Calling Surface or you will have to do it everytime you want to use the call because it will start oxidizing!

Box Calls: clean off old chalk with a clean dry cloth and apply new chalk to paddle.

Hope that this helps!

Can someone explain the difference between silver aluminum, treated aluminum, and anodized aluminum? I have two of the Primos Alumislate calls, one regular colored silver and one with a green coating....these are my favorite as they will talk even while wet with an old HS Strut green plastic striker. I condition both with the sandpaper and green pad that came with them. From reading here maybe I shouldn't have sanded a spot on the green one, but I couldn't get much out of it until I did.

tcoker

Like 10 years ago I read something about using violin resin (yes like as in the instrument you play) on box call lids then chalking over it. I tried it and it worked really well. Didn't change the sound but had to rechalk far less often. Anyone else heard of that.