Calling the Gurus! What's up with this 9mm Brass??? Weird primer!

Railroader

Billy’s Security Guard.
What's up with these YTR rounds?

IMG_20220227_181409366.jpg

I bought a case of this YTR stuff at $319 to practice up with my new red dot guns.

The G19MOS has hung up a time or two with this ammo, which surprises me. Glocks don't usually care what they eat.

So I got to looking, and the YTR stuff has a primer issue of some kind. (Left case).

The Blazer Brass (right case) was fired out of the same magazine and looks normal.

Whadda y'all say?

Railroader

Billy’s Security Guard.
It's purty ammo...Made in Florida and decently priced.

IMG_20220219_174626955.jpg

I really don't mind a hang up once in a while, and I bought this to blast with...

But it looks like the primers are bulging back at me, just want to make sure they're safe.

Or should I be contacting YTR?? I still have 800 rounds of this stuff...

Last edited:

bullgator

Interesting. I’d call them. Any pics from the side to show if the primer is backing out?

Big7

The Oracle
Prolly has a soft, thin primer cup that pushes back the firing pin.

Completely harmless.

Railroader

Billy’s Security Guard.
Interesting. I’d call them. Any pics from the side to show if the primer is backing out?

Prolly has a soft, thin primer cup that pushes back the firing pin.

Completely harmless.

I might give them a call and just see what they say, but I bought this case with the intention of shooting it up in a month.

If I have a malfunction here and there, I'll just consider that good practice. No biggie.

I just want to be sure I wasn't shooting something dangerous.

I have been shooting a very long time, and have never seen, or maybe just never noticed a spent primer such as these.

They're all doing it, but some are worse than others...

Probably just shoot it up, and not buy any more of it.. ?

transfixer

measure the length of the spent cases versus the blazer cases, if you have a dial caliper or something to measure it with, maybe they're a little on the short side ? I would say they might be overpressured ,,, but the primer doesn't look flattened ,, can you tell a difference in recoil between them and the blazers ?

Big7

The Oracle
measure the length of the spent cases versus the blazer cases, if you have a dial caliper or something to measure it with, maybe they're a little on the short side ? I would say they might be overpressured ,,, but the primer doesn't look flattened ,, can you tell a difference in recoil between them and the blazers ?
Yeah..
You would rather have a bulged primer that flat and definitely not pierced. That would be really, really bad, especially in a handgun.

And... That's an excellent idea to measure the different spent cases. If the OAL, including the bulged primer is equal to or less than the Blazer brass- you have short cases.

But still, that is totally safe to fire. :wink:

Railroader

Billy’s Security Guard.

No, they don't seem any hotter/colder than the Blazer Brass, or some White box Winchester stuff I've used...

No precise measuring capability here, but I will eyeball a case comparison.... ?

bullgator

Maybe out of spec or loose primer pockets.

Railroader

Billy’s Security Guard.
Found this right off the bat on another forum...

"Bought 1,000 rounds, have not had a good experience in my G19 or P88 Compact, both had feeding issues. The same session I used STV Bee and Igman 9mm, guns ran well."

I think I have enough evidence to suggest that a bargain ain't always a bargain...

pjciii

What's up with these YTR rounds?

View attachment 1138287

I bought a case of this YTR stuff at $319 to practice up with my new red dot guns.

The G19MOS has hung up a time or two with this ammo, which surprises me. Glocks don't usually care what they eat.

So I got to looking, and the YTR stuff has a primer issue of some kind. (Left case).

The Blazer Brass (right case) was fired out of the same magazine and looks normal.

Whadda y'all say?

I was hoping this thread Would still be active when i got an email from mountain City supply. If you send me a PM with you email address I will forward it so you can read it and maybe it will answer your questions. I will also respond with my email address So you will know when you see it. I just dont know how to convert it to something I can post

Railroader

Billy’s Security Guard.
I was hoping this thread Would still be active when i got an email from mountain City supply. If you send me a PM with you email address I will forward it so you can read it and maybe it will answer your questions. I will also respond with my email address So you will know when you see it. I just dont know how to convert it to something I can post

PM sent. Thanks!