Camper Advice

ribber

Apologize if this has been discussed 1000 times but:

I am considering a pull behind camper, maybe 23-30 ft to mainly leave at the hunting club lease (10 miles away), but maybe pull on a trip once in a blue moon. It will sit on concrete slab and there is no power (do have generator) or water at the camp. I don't foresee using a lot of water as far as showers and toilet (plenty of trees/woods lol), plus we have an outdoor water tank we all use at camp for washing hands, dishes, etc.
I don't know much about maintaining a camper, and even less about reputable brands, slides yes or no, must haves and what to stay away from, etc. Want to make a good decision, so any advice is appreciated.

Buckman18

Will a shelter be necessary?

You might get by without one for a year or two but you don’t want that sun beaming on it year after year. Not if, but when, the water will find its way in.

Mr Bya Lungshot

BANNED LUNATIC FRINGE
You might get by without one for a year or two but you don’t want that sun beaming on it year after year. Not if, but when, the water will find its way in.

Very true, my father had me paint the roof of a brand new camper with some silver tar compound.
I said won’t it make it ugly?
He said would you rather be wet? NOW get up there and paint every inch twice!!

It all depends on what is important to you, I have a 30 footer at my camp that stays there year round. My wife has decided that she wants to come some now so I upgraded from a gutted out scotty to have more room. We went with no slides, added a small recliner for her, I don't spend a lot of time inside camper so the seating comfort was not much an issue, I do cook though when at camp so ours has a lot of counter space which is greatly appreciated, stove and oven works and we do use the water for toilet and is nice to have hot water for washing dishes ( I used to boil water and have dish pans outside to do this). We rarely use the fridge and actually I just use it for dry storage. Furnace is nice to have that runs on 12 volt so during cold really don't even need to run a generator at night. So all in all it really depends on what your comfort needs are. I keep a 30 foot tarp suspended over camper( MUST use a come-a-long to suspend it) this not only protects roof but also gives a place to sit if raining without being cooped up inside. I am actually going this weekend if like I can take a few pics to show.

ribber

It all depends on what is important to you, I have a 30 footer at my camp that stays there year round. My wife has decided that she wants to come some now so I upgraded from a gutted out scotty to have more room. We went with no slides, added a small recliner for her, I don't spend a lot of time inside camper so the seating comfort was not much an issue, I do cook though when at camp so ours has a lot of counter space which is greatly appreciated, stove and oven works and we do use the water for toilet and is nice to have hot water for washing dishes ( I used to boil water and have dish pans outside to do this). We rarely use the fridge and actually I just use it for dry storage. Furnace is nice to have that runs on 12 volt so during cold really don't even need to run a generator at night. So all in all it really depends on what your comfort needs are. I keep a 30 foot tarp suspended over camper( MUST use a come-a-long to suspend it) this not only protects roof but also gives a place to sit if raining without being cooped up inside. I am actually going this weekend if like I can take a few pics to show.

Some pics would be good. I always thought the shelters were for the older campers that developed leaks. Didn't realize they could leak within a year or so. I wouldn't want to build a permanent shelter because it's a lease.
My initial plan was to get one of those metal storage buildings and finish the inside (think tiny house), but the wife wants a camper, so we can travel with it. Even though she hasn't realized yet that she is too 'domesticated' for it lol.

I would be like you, not spend a lot of time in there, but do want it to be warm in winter and cool in summer when bedding down. The hot water would be nice too for dishes and washing hands when its cold. The shower/toilet/fridge would rarely get used unless the women folks are there, which won't be often.
We actually spend a lot of time at the club in Spring/Summer too. We have a nice pond and folks bring the youngsters to fish/ride atvs/cook.

The sun really does the damage on the roofs, and with it sitting there unprotected never know when a leak will start, also like I said when raining gives me a place without going inside to get out of the rain, my other club campers usually join me ;) because they like to drape tarps over theirs for protection. I in the past had a 5 gal bucket that I mounted a toilet seat to and used trash bags for #2's then put in trash to take home, I have to admit it is nice sitting using the camper facilities, ive dug a deep hole and run my hose out to it and dump at end of weekend. We use ours too just about year round.

normaldave

GON Weatherman
For your stated needs, I'd just build one of these to the nearest size you think you need. Mine has a metal roof. Easy to maintain. Build it to your liking. Mine has set outside since 2012. I did develop a crack leak in the fiberglass nose piece at the top near a marker light. Easy fix. The rest of the roof has had no maintenance, other than washing, and no leaks yet.
7X16 cargo conversion
Here it is setup for sleeping, there's a click clack sofa you can't see in the front of the trailer, sleeps 6 relatively comfortably. 1" welded steel tubing walls/ceiling are quite strong.
image.php