Campground reccomendations

bckwzlineman

So the wife and I got our first camper. We are super excited and just got back from our first camping trip to towns bluff in Jeff Davis county ga. We are looking for other places to spend weekends with our dogs and enjoy the outdoors. Preferably campgrounds on or close to lakes and/or rivers. Would like to stay off state parks for the time being. Hope some of you can give some suggestions on grounds with good fishing or just kayaking opportunities, thanks in advance.

Shane Dockery

Where you coming from? Trackrock up in Blairsville is pretty nice. Shaded lots, big fishing pond. Plenty of things to do in the area. Diamond Lure in Ellijay is also pretty nice.

Huntinfool

Why staying off state parks? There are some awesome places to camp at state parks in GA. Some of them are terrible. But there are a lot that are pretty dang awesome.

Artfuldodger

Nice little campground. Good yaking. Decent fishing on river. Campground is all sand(unless changed). I just don't like sand in my camper.
I did notice it looked rather sandy but I'm used to camping at the beach. If it wasn't for the river, I sure wouldn't camp there. Same with Towns Bluff in Jeff Davis. The rive is it's only attraction.

Artfuldodger

Clayston on Lake Tobesofkee Recreation Area campsites have no sand but they sure are close together.
DRP_6971.jpg

Artfuldodger

I was thinking of Lake Sinclair. I think I'm spoiled camping on Clark Hill and lakes north of here. Big camp sites and spaced apart from each other.
Army Corp and county parks are like this. Might do better to stick with them than private campgrounds.
Check out Whitewater Creek County Park in Macon County. It has a nice lake and campground. We paddled up the creek a bit when we went.

Dames Ferry Campground, Located on Lake Juliette in Monroe County, is operated by the Georgia Department of Natural Resources in partnership with Georgia Power.
That looks more like a place I'm used to camping at.

Mauser

We like rocky bend flint river retreat in newton. It's on the flint and they will do kayak shuttles up the river. They have cabins and rv slots. It's a privately owned camp ground and they are good folks.

Artfuldodger

We like rocky bend flint river retreat in newton. It's on the flint and they will do kayak shuttles up the river. They have cabins and rv slots. It's a privately owned camp ground and they are good folks.
It looks peaceful. I saw a pontoon full of kayaks. Do they shuttle the kayaks up river on a pontoon? Just never saw that before.

RedHills

Self Banned after losing a Noles bet.
Dames Ferry Campground, Located on Lake Juliette in Monroe County, is operated by the Georgia Department of Natural Resources in partnership with Georgia Power.
That looks more like a place I'm used to camping at.

Been wanting to go there...but was waiting on the Whistle Stop to open back up...looks to have been closed a while.

Hilsman

Captain Gut Hook !
Been wanting to go there...but was waiting on the Whistle Stop to open back up...looks to have been closed a while.
We went to Dames Ferry in March and the Whistle Stop was open then. Crazy wait time even for to-go orders.

Latest posts