Camping & Canoeing--Tallulah

rockgirl05

HI there, i'm new to the board :)

I would really like to visit Georgia this spring or summer. I've been searching online, but having a hard time finding places to camp. I've found tons of bed & breakfasts, but to be honest I'd rather be outdoors, but a shower house would be nice. I really want to visit the Tallulah Gorge and other surrounding areas. So campgrounds close to there would be best!

OH--and canoeing, I absolutley love floating and the peacefulness that comes along with it. Is canoeing allowed on the Tallulah River? Places to rent canoes? Some floats better than others?

Any ideas?

Thanks
Shelley
Alton, IL

Greg Tench

The Tallulah river which is one of the streams that run into Lake Burton is uncanoeable in my opinion. Too many big rocks and too many ledges and swift water.

Jighead

Gone but not forgotten
There is no long stretches of river to canoe below Burton,too many lakes. Lake Tugalo would be great for canoing however, only a 25 hp limit and some of the most beatiful scenery in Ga.

KDarsey

The River Campground just north of the Gorge has the potential to be one of the nicest private campgrounds in the area.
If the owners would spend a little time in maintaining the place it would really help. We do stay there though.
If you are looking for some tranquil kayaking/canoeing mosey on over to the Chessatee in Dahlonega. You can even do a little fishing as you float. Go up to Lake Winfield Scot and camp & paddle/fish in the lake there.

Latest posts