Can anyone identify this?

Huntertread

I found this in a place where I typically find arrowheads and am wondering if anyone has seen anything like it before. Has the weight of clay:

20191224_191357.jpg

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
You are correct of course Anvil Head but I have lots of interesting rocks that I have not left there and still enjoy looking over them and trying to remember where I was when I picked the up.

Anvil Head

I'm just as guilty. Wore out many jeans pockets toting neat rocks. Learned early on not to wear cargo pants. My grandaddy was a geologist and successful prospector. He taught me the term "leaverite" (course I snuck a lot of them home anyway).

Buddy of mine got hooked when I took him over to Graves Mountain to hunt rutile, kyanite, and quartz crystal. Made a real addict out of him. He decided he liked the tumbling game and still does. From the look of the OP's rock, it'd be a mud maker in short order. Don't blame him for picking it up - I would have as well.

Huntertread

Thanks for the feedback and new vocab words Anvil Head and JustUs4All! Obviously disappointed its not an actual artifact but still cool and we'll still keep it around.

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
I have some very similar to that where the holes go all the way through, some with several holes. I just couldn't help but bring them home.

Anvil Head

I have a few chunks of "fossilized" termite tunneling that had apparently tumbled down a stream or two before reaching a backwater sandbar. I tried slicing one to make a large glass plate display (sort of like a big slide). It got pretty messy/muddy under the wet saw but turned out ok. Gifted it to my old entomology prof at UGA a good while back (pre-digital) so no pics.