Can deer see green or blue light?

jaclinto

I just found an awesome archery hat at ( www.head-lite.com ) that has a built in light for walking to and from treestands. They offer various colors for the light, which include blue and green. My question is, would either blue or green be a good light for hunting. Can deer see those colors? I have heard they cannot see red, but how about blue or green?

Randy

Not sure they can actully tell color but they will see the brightness of the light. That being said I use the green light a lot. I have the stylus as well as the head band light from a major manufacturer. The thing about the green light is you do not loose you night vision.

Jorge

I use a green Stylus as well and prefer to use it going to and from my stand. I have spooked deer while using it but I think it was because of the noise I made and not necessarily the light.

One big word of warning about the green Stylus. Be sure to carry and standard flashlight as well. You can't determine between blood or water with the green light. Coon Dawg and I had two dead flashlights when we were tracking a doe I shot two bow seasons ago and that green Stylus was worthless for tracking.

George

Scouter

Jorge,
I do not have the green but have tought about getting one. I have read the blue is good for showing up blood when tracking wounded animals. Of course, that is what the manufactor says....

Coastie

I believe Blue is one of the colors that they can see, it is getting right up there into the ultra violet range and they can pick out reflections at UV wave lengths. The Blue lamp is great for blood trailing however and is therfore very useful. I'm not sure about Green but if there is a red lens included, I would use it for travel purposes, you can see fairly well with it, the deer cannot see it and it does not mess up your night vision as do some other colors or a white light.

Ga-Spur

I don't think you have to worry about the color of the light. Like Randy said , it's the flashing of the light and not the color so much. With that being said I use the green light from the Stylus Streamlight . Well it was given to me by the NWTF and it is a small light too.

Meriwether Mike

I have the green and the red stylus and prefer the green hands down. I seem to be able to see better with it.

I have heard of people using a red lens on a spot light because nobody else can see the light except the one using it. As somebody else said, it don't mess up you night vision.

jaclinto

i know that head-lite makes both red and green LED lights, but I have to agree that the red doesn't put off as much light

JBird227

GONetwork Member
Red light makes you not loose your night vision, thats why firestations have red lights. Blue is good for picking up blood. I dont know about green.

Scout-N-Hunt

Read several studies that conclude deer can see blue & green light, but can't see red - still think they will see any light if it leaves the ground.

Personally, I use the little headlight from Walmart with red LED lamps, white LED lamps, & an incandescent bulb, any of which you can select with the turn of a switch. Believe it uses 4 AAA batteries and gives me a perfect hands free light for traveling to the stand before daylight & back after dark.

I'm a light freak, with several high end Surefire lights (M6 Guardian, M4CB Devastator, A2 Aviator, & E2O Outdoorman. And a couple of the new Pentagon lights - X3HA & S2.

Red & blue filters are available from Surefire to fit most of the standard bezel diameters, so choosing red for getting to the stand & blue for blood trailing is easy enough.

Have the little Stylus Streamlight in green, but it sits in a pocket and sees little use.

TJay

I've heard pretty much the same, blue and green are more visible than red. I have the green stylus, but I'd like to try the red. But..if I can't see good enough with it to pick up on a snake I'll go back to green.

huntfish

Quoting Karl Miller, professor of wildlife ecology and management at UGA, in the current UGA Research Magazine.."They [Miller and Gerald Jacobs, an expert on mammalian vision at UC at Santa Barbara] found that deer see colors much as humans do, but with red-green color blindness. ..... "On the other hand, deer may be able to see blue even better than we [humans] do."

As a scientist, I'll side on scientific basis with a p factor of 0.05. I pick either green or red. Stay away from blue.