Can Someone Teach Me How To Bear Hunt in 2021?

menhadenman

just get Onx man. It’s a really good idea to have some form of navigation out there, number one for marking spots you find, and number two, it’s easy to get lost, especially when it’s dark

I’m an OnX guy but buddies are changing over to Basemap and Gaia. Basemap is cheaper and still as good.

splatek

UAEC
Does Gaia have property lines? What’s the annual cost?

It does have property lines layer
don’t know the cost, but I’m a lowly college professor so if I can afford it…
It also has tracking
Honestly worth whatever it costs bc it’s saved my butt a few times
and you can import/export with onx and other maps

Last edited by a moderator:

Hillbilly stalker

You can use Gaia for free as a trail but it has several restrictions. If you buy the simple package it is $39 a year. Best money you will spend. It is very very simple to upload maps of the area you intend to hunt. Then it doesn’t matter if you have phone OR satellite reception. It loads better and quicker and in more places than OnX, I have both.

EyesUp83

I've always just hunted the WMA's and taken in in printed sat maps, road maps, trails maps, laid over a grid Maybe I'm working too hard o make sure I know where I am when somebody else already has it on an ap, lol?

I'm not familiar with how to find open NF lands since it all seems intermingled with private lands on the Google... does OnX, or Gaia show these definitions pretty clearly?