Canoe build, sort of.....

longbowdave1

As some of you know, I lost my wife to covid first week of December. So after 40 years, im in an empty house. I needed a project to keep my mind occupied. The way I run from the bad, is do something good. So i decided to surprise my friends that own a Bar near were I hang out in summer camping and fishing. I decide to build a half-ish scale skin over frame canoe that will hang upside down over the outside bar, with lights in it. It will complinent an old 1950s canvas covered row boat that hangs in the the main bar. Here is the row boat that inspired the build....

20220114_163948.jpg

Last edited:

longbowdave1

So, i did a lot of reading and watching on skin on frame canoes, steam bending wood, and a lot of other stuff to start. I could not get access to any fresh cut or "green" lumber, so i had to learn to bend kiln dried woods, not easy. I wound up soaking woods for a week at a time, prior to steaming. After a few failures, I began to figure it out. Had to build a steam box, and forms, once i designed the canoe light fixture thingy. I had to careful eyeball its future home to size it up without letting on what I was up to. Its going to be rougly 66 inches long when done. I didn't take pictures early on because it was a struggle to get headed on the right path. I machined all the parts from cedar, pine, and rosewood.

20220112_182228.jpg20220112_182240.jpg20220113_182126.jpg20220113_182202.jpg

kayaksteve

Very nice! I’ve dreamed of a build like that. Maybe some day I’ll get around to it. There is definitely an art to bending wood especially dry wood and I’ve never bent anything that drastic.

longbowdave1

Longbowdave, that is undoubtedly the coolest thing I've seen on the forum in a while!(y)

Thank you. I have literally been working on this for 6 weeks as time permits. Early on I looked at dimension on a 12 Old Towne canoe, and modified a half scale design to fit my needs. It has been a real challenge. I just dove in with no idea how to do it, but im over coming troubles as they arise.

The Original Rooster

Mayor of Spring Hill
Thank you. I have literally been working on this for 6 weeks as time permits. Early on I looked at dimension on a 12 Old Towne canoe, and modified a half scale design to fit my needs. It has been a real challenge. I just dove in with no idea how to do it, but im over coming troubles as they arise.
Can't wait to see the final product hanging in the bar!

longbowdave1

Sorry for this picture, it's sitting face down on the saw horses. I augered a hole up on the bow of the canoe. I'm going to inlay a 2022 quarter with the date showing for a date stamp on the build. Plus, it will always be work at least a quarter!

20220124_160850.jpg

Jeff C.

Chief Grass Master
Great build and unrealized talent, Fantastic. Looking forward to see it hanging.