Canoe vs Jon boat

Longstreet1

I can not decide I am looking for a boat I can take my kids out in and use for hunting myself. Problems jin boat will have to have a trailer and motors where a canoe turns over easier. I wont be useing in large lakes mainly reservors and rivers and swamps. What do ya'll think? also trying to keep it under $500

Randy

I prefer canoes if a kayak will not work of course. But that is just me.

Grub Master

Get a Riverhawk or an old Genoe. You can put a motor on it and they are very stable. There is a Riverhawk on Craigslist. They hold their value and you can always get your money out of them.

ronmac13

i use to have a jon boat that i would throw in the back of my truck and use it as a canoe. I think it was 10 or 12 ft long. Wed take it to mcduffie pfa and paddle it around all day long.

ChiefOsceola

Canoe all the way. Most even have a motor mount you can buy to attach a small gas outboard or trolling motor. Lightweight, agile, sturdy if used properly and good for all occasions.

sbfowler

Look for both! Find them used over time to get a better deal than buying new. That's how I started. I have a 16 foot Old Town Discovery canoe with the trolling motor mount mentioned above. It moves well with only a little 35 pound thrust Minn Kota. I then added a 14 foot Alumacraft and later a one-person kayak I picked up for $100. They all have their place and uses. I have since added a fish/ski boat to the family as my kids have grown and we now take along friends in the warmer months. However, I still have and have had some of my best days of fishing out of my smaller boats. They can get to many places that a larger boat can't even think about. I use them on the upper end of Oconee to get up in the little creeks and deep inside the submerged timber. In a canoe, be careful if you're near stumps. If you ride up on one, it will try to roll the boat. I've never flipped mine (yet), just be careful...

Slingblade

Gone But Not Forgotten
Get a Riverhawk or an old Genoe. You can put a motor on it and they are very stable. There is a Riverhawk on Craigslist. They hold their value and you can always get your money out of them.

This