Car Camping Tybee / Savannah?

According to the municipal regs for both Tybee and Savannah, it is a misdemeanor to sleep in your vehicle (with applicable fine).

While River's End Campground is relatively affordable, I'm a cheapsake when it comes to solo trips. Plus, I prefer to come and go as I please at weird hours, maybe even between midnight and dawn.

Does anyone have any knowledge about how these rules are enforced? For example, if I fish one area of Tybee until midnight, then move to the ocean facing pier and fish that for a couple of hours until 3ish in the morning, would I get somebody knocking on my window if I "got a few hours of shut eye" in my car that's in the beach lot near Hotel Tybee? Apparently parking isn't enforced until 8am, but I have no idea if someone is cruising the lots and shining flashlights at cars...

I have also thought about under one of the big lights near Lazaretto ramp might be a good option.

I just don't want any problems, and no charges or fines.

JakkBauer

I have slept in the Tybee parking lot with no issues during those wee hours to do the same as you. I didn't have any problems personally but I guess it could become an issue I just took the chance. Nobody tried to look in my car or anything like that, I had a yak strapped to the top and drove to Lazaretto early and put in. I think I had decided there was less chance of being bothered resting in Tybee than near Lazaretto.

Thanks guys.

I'll most likely just do it, and I'll plan to bundle up and sleep in the cock pit seat (no alcohol, I know the pitfalls).

That seems a lot more forgivable to me than an air mattress in the back of the SUV...that would be prima facie evidence of sleeping in a car...

I'm a heavy sleeper when I'm tired. If the drunks wake me up, I'll just go back out and fish.

Railroader

Billy’s Security Guard.
As long as you ain't drunk, and look like you are there to fish, you'll be good to go.

You might get checked out though, so be ready, but you'll get by with it.

Nah, I'll be dead sober. At least for the trip...

Probably be smelling like fish and swamp a**.

And I'll be "waiting for my buddy fishing the beach. Must have dozed off."

If they drag me in, I won't complain. But I'll request they drain the cooler, pull the fish up, and add ice every once and a while.

Last edited: