Carrying a fixed blade knife in the woods?

greg_n_clayton

The one with the red wooden handle is the one I have. I peeled that handle off and made it a proper handle of antler.
I am setting here looking at the one with rose wood handle. I started to order a blank until I looked closer and saw the blade thickness on the blank. Got some friends headed up to Gatlinburg. They gonna pick me up a couple from SMKW. I was looking at the Black Force, but I can't see the difference in it and the classic #2 !! Can you shed any light on the difference in the 2 other than $40 ?

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
I am setting here looking at the one with rose wood handle. I started to order a blank until I looked closer and saw the blade thickness on the blank. Got some friends headed up to Gatlinburg. They gonna pick me up a couple from SMKW. I was looking at the Black Force, but I can't see the difference in it and the classic #2 !! Can you shed any light on the difference in the 2 other than $40 ?

I`m not familiar with the Black Force. I`ve not fooled with the blanks either. Just the red painted wooden handle that I swapped over to a caribou antler.

GunnSmokeer

I Got a pair of Glock FM 81 field knives with the saw back spine a few months ago. I've been using them as throwing knives, which means they've had the **** beat out of them bouncing off of the target at all angles when my throat was off and they don't hit point-First. Each one has been struck by the other one a dozen or more times both on the blade and the polymer handle. Both of them have bounced off the target hundreds of times and clattered to the concrete floor in my garage or the driveway.

They're super strong, and the blades are very thick --unusually thick for a knife with only a 6.5 inch blade.

Two weeks ago a friend and I used these FM81 knives as substitutes for machetes-- chopping up some bamboo and privet bushes and kudzu. One good hard slash from the edge of the Glock field knife blade would cleanly cut bamboo up to 1.5 inches diameter.
For bigger pieces, using the saw back it could cut through 2" bamboo or 1" thick privet bushes in just several seconds of sawing.

I have not sharpened either blade yet. They came moderately sharp from the factory and I've left them that way so far.

The blades are carbon steel, not stainless. However they have not rusted except when I left them out in the rain overnight, accidentally, having been distracted while I was knife throwing out in the driveway. I didn't clean or oil them for two days after they got wet, and one tip of one knife blade developed a spot of rust no bigger than a grain of rice--which quickly wore off the next time I put the knives to use.

778738B7-799F-4BC3-A923-9D220AF77F70.jpeg

Dub

This is my dad's old fishing knife he got around the time he passed.....slightly used. Thanks for all the info here. I had to find out what exactly I had. Now I safely pack it away again.View attachment 960023

Interesting knife. Looks like it's served well an could do so again.

Awesome that you have that from your Father.

I Got a pair of Glock FM 81 field knives with the saw back spine a few months ago. I've been using them as throwing knives, which means they've had the **** beat out of them bouncing off of the target at all angles when my throat was off and they don't hit point-First. Each one has been struck by the other one a dozen or more times both on the blade and the polymer handle. Both of them have bounced off the target hundreds of times and clattered to the concrete floor in my garage or the driveway.

They're super strong, and the blades are very thick --unusually thick for a knife with only a 6.5 inch blade.

Two weeks ago a friend and I used these FM81 knives as substitutes for machetes-- chopping up some bamboo and privet bushes and kudzu. One good hard slash from the edge of the Glock field knife blade would cleanly cut bamboo up to 1.5 inches diameter.
For bigger pieces, using the saw back it could cut through 2" bamboo or 1" thick privet bushes in just several seconds of sawing.

I have not sharpened either blade yet. They came moderately sharp from the factory and I've left them that way so far.

The blades are carbon steel, not stainless. However they have not rusted except when I left them out in the rain overnight, accidentally, having been distracted while I was knife throwing out in the driveway. I didn't clean or oil them for two days after they got wet, and one tip of one knife blade developed a spot of rust no bigger than a grain of rice--which quickly wore off the next time I put the knives to use.

View attachment 978151

That's a great review.

These Glock knives have always gotten great durability comments made about them. Good stuff.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Carried an Old Timer 6" folder for years. This one is 40 years old and the only one I ever need. Find a good blade and take care of it. It will last forever.View attachment 943026
I have one almost identical to that, except I think mine has maybe a tad longer blade. It's a great knife with great steel. My grandpa gave it to me when I was a kid back in the very early 70s, and it was pretty old then.

Lukikus2

I have one almost identical to that, except I think mine has maybe a tad longer blade. It's a great knife with great steel. My grandpa gave it to me when I was a kid back in the very early 70s, and it was pretty old then.

No telling how many deer pelvic bones that knife and a rock has split and still razor sharp.

Tom W.

I have a Cold Steel fixed blade, two different Kershaw knives, a Gerber folder and a Gerber multi-tool.

Those are the ones I'm aware of and get into my backpack.

LTZ25

Love those knifes shown , I'm a Case , Benchmade and Souther Grind fan myself . I carried a fixed Case Kodiak when deer hunting .

bownutz

I carry a havalon piranta which is as sharp as a blade can get. Use it for field dressing. Also carry a knives of Alaska cub bear as a backup. For bigger jobs or threats I carry a Puma Original Bowie from my grandfather on my side. Occasionally I will also have a bench made griptillian as well.