Cartecay river - Ellijay

CamoDawg85

The family and I are renting a house about 1.5 miles southeast of Ellijay this Thursday - Sunday. I was planning on taking a rod to kill some time. Are there bass species in that section of the river or should I just stick with rooster tails (or something else?) for trout?

Thanks in advance guys and gals. Hope y’all had a Merry Christmas and have a Happy New Year.

Jeff

ShoalBandit

Yes bass were there a long time before humans stocked the trout. If you can find a pool or channel bend that doesn't have a lot of current it'll have bass. You typically find more Redeye Bass as you move upriver and the gradient increases.

CamoDawg85

Yes bass were there a long time before humans stocked the trout. If you can find a pool or channel bend that doesn't have a lot of current it'll have bass. You typically find more Redeye Bass as you move upriver and the gradient increases.

Thanks SB. Any suggestions on baits I can throw? Shallow crankbaits, crawfish on a shaky head, pop-r?

Much appreciate the help, sir.

Jeff

Browniez

Thanks SB. Any suggestions on baits I can throw? Shallow crankbaits, crawfish on a shaky head, pop-r?

Much appreciate the help, sir.

Jeff

Small Rebel Cranking craws, very small rapalas, tiny ned rigs, a spinner (I prefer Vibrax) and small marabou/hair type jigs in black should catch anything that swims there.

For that matter you could take a small box with those 5 lures and have a great day on any small stream or river in northern Georgia. Bass, trout or panfish.

Maybe keep 2-3 white flukes and an EWG in the box just in case.

Best part is all are available at Walmart.

CamoDawg85

Small Rebel Cranking craws, very small rapalas, tiny ned rigs, a spinner (I prefer Vibrax) and small marabou/hair type jigs in black should catch anything that swims there.

For that matter you could take a small box with those 5 lures and have a great day on any small stream or river in northern Georgia. Bass, trout or panfish.

Maybe keep 2-3 white flukes and an EWG in the box just in case.

Best part is all are available at Walmart.

Browniez that’s exactly the help and feedback I needed. Good news is I already have some of those. Thank you much sir!

ShoalBandit

Some great suggestions so far. I also like Texas-rigged green pumpkin finesse worms. You'll get more bites with a 1/16oz weight and 6-8lb test line when the water is cold. I also use Lucky Craft pointer 78 jerkbaits a lot in the winter. And you may already know this but Google Maps can be used to find deeper areas with less current.

CamoDawg85

Some great suggestions so far. I also like Texas-rigged green pumpkin finesse worms. You'll get more bites with a 1/16oz weight and 6-8lb test line when the water is cold. I also use Lucky Craft pointer 78 jerkbaits a lot in the winter. And you may already know this but Google Maps can be used to find deeper areas with less current.

I’ll make sure to throw some green pumpkin finesse in the small box also! I have 4lb mono tied on, that too small? I can always back the drag down and really work them if need be I guess?

ShoalBandit

Yes IMO 4lb test is way too light for a Texas-rig (6-8lb is ideal) but if you want to use the 4lb it might work with a Ned-rig or grub on a jighead anything with an exposed hook.

CamoDawg85

Good call on setting the hook with light line. Learning more each day about this style of fishing thanks to you all! (y)

CamoDawg85

Wewwww we got some Yoo-hoo water up here! No bites today in between rain showers. Threw rooster tails, small spinners, crankbait and shaky head u-tail worm and finesse worm to no avail. Hoping the water clears at least a smidge by this time tomorrow. Anybody else have luck fishing muddy mountain water?

brdyhll

I used to fish up that way a lot. Always used rooster tails and panther martins. Black and or yellow. Never had much luck when the water muddied but that river has some huge trout in it

CamoDawg85

Ended with one lone spotted bass on a shaky head craw underneath a tree, right where he was supposed to be. Had we not had the significant rain, I could see more getting caught. That chocolate milk current was shonuff tough to battle.

Browniez

Ended with one lone spotted bass on a shaky head craw underneath a tree, right where he was supposed to be. Had we not had the significant rain, I could see more getting caught. That chocolate milk current was shonuff tough to battle.

Sounds like you would have had it pegged. It ain’t easy to catch even that one under those conditions.

Philhutch80

Banned
I used to fish up that way a lot. Always used rooster tails and panther martins. Black and or yellow. Never had much luck when the water muddied but that river has some huge trout in it

LOL where??? That river is warm eight months out of the year. That is why it's such a popular tubing and whitewater kayaking spot. In the 15yrs I have paddled there I have never seen anyone fishing from the put in down to Woody's shop at Cartecay River Experience. I wonder how far up I could run in the jet boat....

brdyhll

That’s a great question. I Fished up above where the park is. Up on the mountain and I’ll be also fished right there close to down town. My dad had found a spot on it and told me how to get there. No chance I could make it there again lol but it had a boat load of trout in it