Cartersville - Etowah River

Mickey Flatshoals

Long time lurker, first time poster.

I’m a newbie river fisherman and have become addicted to kayak fishing. Lately I’ve been fishing the hooch from the Buford Dam down to Rogers Bridge. I’ve really enjoyed trout fishing in the hot summer days but my passion is bass fishing. Sometimes you have to fish for what’s biting so I’m not stubborn when it comes to catching instead of fishing.

I have to work in Cartersville this weekend and was hoping to dip the kayak in the water between some appointments. I’ve never fished the Etowah river and was hoping for some easy spots to get in and out close to where I’ll be. Any tips on what to use would help as well. I’m a simple Texas rig guy. I’ve been messing around with wacky rigs and neko rigs. I don’t necessarily fish fast unless I have to.

I’d like to thank the community for helping me adapt to kayak fishing. I read every update and continue to learn constantly. I’m already on my 3rd kayak of the year but that’s another story I might bore y’all with when we share more stories of the one that got away.

Attachments

• ACCA9AC6-15A1-405E-9791-32F300C0835F.jpeg
    ACCA9AC6-15A1-405E-9791-32F300C0835F.jpeg
    170.2 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:

jocko755

I've never fished it but will be interested in the replies.

I would assume you could go down allatoona dam road and fish below the dam.

If you float down stream, just be careful of the Thompson Weinman Dam.

Looks like a launch and access on the cartersville hwy bridge.

I would imagine you could catch spotted bass in the river with swimbaits, flukes.

Let us know how you do.

Mickey Flatshoals

Thanks for the help jocko. Does anyone know how fast the river moves in that area? Will I have trouble paddling back the my truck? I’ve read about some other people struggling going upstream in the Etowah.

Timberman

Call and check the release schedule! The Etowah can get to be a handful if you're not careful. Plenty of access points most folks put in and float to a takeout downstream. Paddling upstream would be pretty difficult.

Mickey Flatshoals

I got caught on the Hooch around McGinness Ferry a few weeks back when they released the dam. Real panic set in when I was paddling as hard as I could for what felt like 5 minutes and realized I hadn’t moved. I left my cell phone in the truck so my mind was spinning on what to do next. Luckily I ended up using trees along the bank and a tacking method of moving from bank to bank to help me get back. I got my workout in that afternoon and I had trouble lifting my arm for days. Rivers ain’t no joke.

Timberman

Yep. The fishing is good for spots. I like a shad colored jerk bait, pearl fluke on a scrounger head, or believe it or not a whopper plopper will kill them. If your feeliong froggy throw a big swim bait or redfin and get ready to have your tackle busted up by a striper.striper.jpg

Mickey Flatshoals

Thanks Timberman. I haven’t fished for striper from the yak yet. I might have to try to get pulled around by one this weekend.

I’ll bring the top water lures. There’s nothing like watching the ambush on the surface. Is it deep enough to bring the garmin?

Timberman

In places but the spots like to hang around wood

Mickey Flatshoals

Made it to the Allatoona dam rd boat launch on Saturday but only had an hour to spend fishing before I had to go back to work. I met a local named Nathan that gave me some valuable information. He was there trying to dial in the new outboard on his Jon boat and he told me he regularly fishes with the guides at Cohutta Fishing Co.

The fishing between Allatoona Dam and Thompson-Weinman Dam is slow at best unless you’re looking for monster perch. It picks up once you’re at the bottom of the spillway. There’s a beautiful stretch for kayak fishing for spots and striper from West Ave to Hardin Bridge Rd. This is typically the area the guides run everyday. I didn’t do it myself but I’ll definitely be heading back to check it out.

I had no luck in the hour I was in the water. I used my 110 whopper plopped the whole time. The dam was not scheduled to release all weekend and the water was moving extremely slow. That’s a huge change from the water I’ve been fishing in the Hooch. I forgot how relaxing it can be when I’m not constantly fighting current.

On Sunday I was working in Sharon Springs so I hit the Hooch from 7am-10am. I pulled out 4 brownies. The area I was in was being heavily pressured the entire time I was there. I don’t think I ever had a moment when another boat wasn’t in sight.

This weekend I’ll be in Cumming on Saturday and I’ll be hitting a hidden lake that I’ve had great success with largemouth. On Sunday I’ll be in Woodstock and I’m considering fishing Latham. I need to get familiar with my new garmin 4 and I haven’t been on a lake in a while.

JonathanG2013

Made it to the Allatoona dam rd boat launch on Saturday but only had an hour to spend fishing before I had to go back to work. I met a local named Nathan that gave me some valuable information. He was there trying to dial in the new outboard on his Jon boat and he told me he regularly fishes with the guides at Cohutta Fishing Co.

The fishing between Allatoona Dam and Thompson-Weinman Dam is slow at best unless you’re looking for monster perch. It picks up once you’re at the bottom of the spillway. There’s a beautiful stretch for kayak fishing for spots and striper from West Ave to Hardin Bridge Rd. This is typically the area the guides run everyday. I didn’t do it myself but I’ll definitely be heading back to check it out.

I had no luck in the hour I was in the water. I used my 110 whopper plopped the whole time. The dam was not scheduled to release all weekend and the water was moving extremely slow. That’s a huge change from the water I’ve been fishing in the Hooch. I forgot how relaxing it can be when I’m not constantly fighting current.

On Sunday I was working in Sharon Springs so I hit the Hooch from 7am-10am. I pulled out 4 brownies. The area I was in was being heavily pressured the entire time I was there. I don’t think I ever had a moment when another boat wasn’t in sight.

This weekend I’ll be in Cumming on Saturday and I’ll be hitting a hidden lake that I’ve had great success with largemouth. On Sunday I’ll be in Woodstock and I’m considering fishing Latham. I need to get familiar with my new garmin 4 and I haven’t been on a lake in a while.

Congrats on the browns.

I am in Woodstock also. Have you ever tried Hickory Log Creek in Canton? Only a 15 minute drive. Used to live next to it. 8 and 9 pound bass have been caught out of it. I had 10 pound line broke on a fish I had on using a trick worm.

JonathanG2013

Yes go to the end of bluffs parkway where Chat Tech is on and it will dead end at Fate Conn road. The boat ramp is on the left right before you get to fate conn. I think it is a $5.00 parking fee.

jcarleto

I've used that launch several times. I firmly believe it was designed by someone who never launched a boat of any kind before. Or maybe he/she just hated boaters in general.

It is possible to launch there, but gets increasingly difficult as the water level drops well below the final "dock." Recovery isn't much fun either, especially with a heavy kayak. Something light, like a 50 pound canoe or short, light kayak seems to be what it was "designed" around. I use the word "designed" loosely in this instance.

The good news is that the run from there downstream is loaded with fish. You may exit after 1 mile at a ramp managed by Euharlee Outfitters (best to call first to arrange access or a shuttle), or continue and additional 6+/- miles to the Euharlee Road bridge ramp. Both are very easy recovery ramps.

There are a few somewhat challenging fish weirs along the way, depending upon river flow, but well worth the effort.

spkoli

I like to do the Euharlee Creek to Hardin Bridge run. And Timberman is correct. A whopper plopper slays it out on the Etowah. Just be careful, not only do they catch a lot of fish, they catch a lot of humans as well LOL.

Attachments

• hooked.jpg
    hooked.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 24

dank1296

Nice what trick you use get it out several beers and yank or the mono trick or as ive done before run the hook out and cut it off