Case Length Question?

SWAMPFOX

All my reloading manuals show a case length of 2.035 for the 7mm-08 cartridge. Should I be concerned if the length is longer on my reloads? I guess my question is at what point does case length become an issue? Common sense tells me that the bolt won't close if case length is too long but is there any wiggle room between what the manual say and reality?
Thanks.

bullgator

That’s the maximum length for just the case....not the loaded round. You may get away with being over a couple of thousandths depending on your particular chamber. They tell you to trim back so your not so long that the case gets pinched and creates a high pressure situation.

280 Man

Banned
That’s the maximum length for just the case....not the loaded round. You may get away with being over a couple of thousandths depending on your particular chamber. They tell you to trim back so your not so long that the case gets pinched and creates a high pressure situation.

This^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

All my reloading manuals show a case length of 2.035 for the 7mm-08 cartridge. Should I be concerned if the length is longer on my reloads? I guess my question is at what point does case length become an issue? Common sense tells me that the bolt won't close if case length is too long but is there any wiggle room between what the manual say and reality?
Thanks.

BriarPatch99

There is a glossary in the back of some reloading books ....lot of good information contained there in....

"Case" is normally referring to the brass part of a cartridge ... Case Length of brass length...

Cartridge length or Cartridge Over All Length (C.O.A.L) possible C.O.L. Is the length of a loaded cartridge from base to bullet tip....

Jester896

Senior Clown
if I understand what you typed..

the chamber depth for the neck is 2.045 according to SAAMI. The case trim length is 2.035 - up to .020. .001 is not a lot of wiggle room. All of that is on an assumption that your chamber was cut in at SAAMI spec.

if it is too long when you chamber the round into the chamber..it will act like the crimp portion of your die. If you are close to max pressure crimping the bullet could cause you an issue

Last edited:

chuckdog

Simple answer, yes.

Trim your brass. Most recommend .010" below max, 2.025". There are times on some, I may go .015" below max. It hasn't been a problem.

If loading for one bolt action rifle neck sizing only will greatly reduce the need for trimming and extend case life. You also improve your chances for a more accurate round, as the case is custom fitted to your rifles chamber.

There are times I find brass that is too short. If I find any that's been trimmed more than .020" below max I chunk it for scrap.

killerv

you can actually buy some case length gauges that will tell you exactly what you have to work with in that chamber.

I use the trim to length numbers when starting a new batch and dont trim again until they reach max length.

Jester896

Senior Clown
you can actually buy some case length gauges that will tell you exactly what you have to work with in that chamber.

I use Mo's Gauges and Hornady case length gauges regularly. Yes, the ultimate gauge is the rifle chamber if you don't have them. It is hard to determine where you stand without some type of measuring device. In many cases it will give you an even better finished product.

SAAMI tells you what the spec is...(the info/data in front of section of the load manual) but it doesn't tell you where/how the chamber was cut in your rifle, whether it is a tight or loose chamber.. Gauges will open you up to gain more knowledge on your rifle. If your chamber was cut .004 deeper than the SAAMI spec you can in theory add .004 to all of the measurements. You can measure a sized case from somewhere else and determine it it will work in your rifle as is or will need further sizing too if your/the rifle isn't available at the moment.

Common sense tells me that the bolt won't close if case length is too long but is there any wiggle room between what the manual say and reality?
Thanks.

generally speaking....when you feel that... it is more than likely the shoulders that weren't pushed back far enough. You may not feel the neck being too long in the same fashion.

rosewood

What everyone else said already above.

Measure every case after sizing. If it is greater than 2.035", trim it back to 2.025" before loading. The cases tend to lengthen when you full length size the brass, neck sizing usually doesn't stretch it much (Fun fact). 99% of rifles will be perfectly safe if you always keep the case length less than 2.035" in a 7mm-08 chamber.

Rosewood

rosewood

All of those fancy chamber gauges usually only tell you where the shoulder is for headspacing and the lead to the rifling, I don't recall ever seeing one that measures the length of the neck portion of the chamber. Just about have to do a chamber cast to determine that I would think.

Rosewood

Jester896

Senior Clown
A Wilson case gauge will allow you to see if the neck is longer that it should be. There is a milled portion on top to make it easier to see. Mo's Gauges are built on a Wilson case gauge but they have a threaded thimble with .001 incriments that screws onto a threaded portion they add to it. It tells you +/- to the thousandth wheter your case is longer or shorter than spec.

We made one from the thimble off one of my other gauges and milled a .270WSM case gauge. We used the go gauge we did the chamber with to index the 0.