Case Study: Redneck Osso Bucco

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Never tried this before, but I'm making it tonight. Osso bucco. The traditional dish is made with veal shanks. I have two deer shanks sawed into 2" discs, and seared up in a big cast arn pot:

osso1.jpg

Mirepoix sweating out:

osso2.jpg

Garlic and tomato sauce added and reduced:

osso3.jpg

Red wine added and reduced, Shanks added back into the pot:

osso4.jpg

Water and beef bullion powder, rosemary, thyme, and bay leaves added. Into the oven to braise for 3-4 hours:

osso5.jpg

This may be delicious, or it may be horrible. I don't know. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Paymaster

Old Worn Out Mod
Staff member
Don't know about taste but sounds and looks good!

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Folks, this was good. Really good. Melt-in-your-mouth tender, great flavor, I have no complaints at all. I will never grind another deer shank, I don't think.

And, it's just a coincidence that my polenta looks a lot like stone-ground parmesan cheese grits. :)

osso6.jpg

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
His recipes are great and easy to follow. I would really like to get my hands on some moose thanks.
I've had moose once that a guy I work with brought me when he went to visit his family back in Maine. It was delicious.
If you don't have Rinella's Meateater fish and game cookbook, it's well worth the price.

dwhee87

GON Political Forum Scientific Studies Poster
Dang, Hillbilly. That looks professional!

I do not have the referenced cook book, but it is now on my wish list.

dwhee87

GON Political Forum Scientific Studies Poster
As point of reference, I had veal osso bucco at Pricci, one of the best Italian restaurants in Atlanta a few weeks ago. If we're going by looks, yours is first class.20191207_184053-816x612.jpg

ryork

Outstanding!!! You can get a bowl of grits at Waffle House or Cracker Barrell for $0.99 and the same thing at a more upscale Eye-talian joint, call it polenta, and its $7.99!! All in what you do with it and I’m sure yours was very thoughtfully created and prepared.

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
Dang Hillbilly. You done stepped on up to haute cuisine now!

Patriot44

Banned
Don’t be quechoning the Olive Skinders. :bounce:

Love me some OB! Will have to try this. Thanks man for the idea!