Cast iron restoration

mrskinner82

I don't have any pics but my mother gave me what she called a chicken fryer. Deep cast iron skillet with a lid. Been in the family a long time. She said its well over 100 years old. I stripped it down and re seasoned it. It is awesome. Since then I've been keeping an eye out for other pieces.

kayaksteve

Never done it yet. I’ve got a couple I’m going to do soon. I really enjoy doing these types of projects. I may seek a little advice when I start mine. One is to far gone to ever be useable I think but It has some sentimental value. I have another Dutch oven I’ve been meaning to restore on the to-do list

kayaksteve

Anyone on here know anything about a skillet like this? It was my great grandmothers as far as I know. My papa said it was around as long as he can remember. Only markings are a gate mark across the bottom. From what I read it’s very hard to identify or age some of these(not that that affects the value of it to me) it’s pretty deeply pitted from a few years in a collapsing barnC50B6B3D-1EDC-48D7-9ACC-C84524930EC6.jpegBFB62876-17B6-4630-93A9-A255B279F6F1.jpeg

kayaksteve

That’s what I thought after some research. We have some pretty old heirlooms in the family but this may be the oldest one if that’s true. I have a newborn son and he is 5th generation on the farm and in the same house that my dad and grandmother live in now

Last edited:

kayaksteve

The Dutch oven is also a family piece but I do not believe it is nearly as old and is definitely in good enough shape to restore and use

Lukikus2

I have a few pieces burning off did not work. I'd be interested in the electrolysis tub hookup though. Is it low voltage? Could I possibly use a battery tender?

John Cooper

?Now I Got One A Them Banner Things
I buy to use.
Same here, I am always on the lookout for cast iron, also I buy quite a bit from the Lodge cast iron store in South Pittsburgh, TN. 15 miles from my house.

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
I have lots for personal use and used to buy to restore and put together sets for wedding presents for folks I really liked a lot.

Dustin Pate

Administrator
Staff member
I've been picking up pieces here and there over the last 10-12 years and have a pretty good collection of different styles. I've got 4-5 pieces that are used weekly. I've always stripped mine with a 50/50 vinegar and water solution. I have used a number of seasoning processes but I think the best thing after an initial seasoning is to just fry a couple good loads of cheap bacon. There is nothing better than a mirror black finish of a cast iron pan.

I'm partial to a bucket of lye for cleaning with nothing harsher than a wire brush from the really crusty spots.
I've had good luck with flax oil for the initial three coats of seasoning.

The Original Rooster

Mayor of Spring Hill
I've been picking up pieces here and there over the last 10-12 years and have a pretty good collection of different styles. I've got 4-5 pieces that are used weekly. I've always stripped mine with a 50/50 vinegar and water solution. I have used a number of seasoning processes but I think the best thing after an initial seasoning is to just fry a couple good loads of cheap bacon. There is nothing better than a mirror black finish of a cast iron pan.
It sure seems that animal fats soak in better than vegetable oils. That higher melting point makes a difference.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Nothing better than old cast iron. I have one pan I use almost daily that was my great-grandmother's, another daily user that has been in the family since the early 50s, two from my great-aunt's house, one of which is my official cornbread pan, and an old cast iron griddle that was my grandpa's. I have and use newer stuff too, but there's just something about the old family heirloom cast iron that makes it more satisfying to cook in.

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
Yep, I have a good bit of family stuff too.

fireman32

"Useless Billy" Fire Chief.
I keep a few around, restored a few but I don’t have much time to do them now. Top right was my grandmas flat pan that she made the best hoe cake in the world in. The one in the middle with the shiny spot got placed on a oven mitt fresh out of the oven. Took some scrubbing to get it useable again. Good friend of mine gave me a 5 pot/pan and Dutch oven set for a wedding gift, they’ve been well used.159A786D-B0CB-43B4-9FAA-C0F2983DD2ED.png