Catching Catfish

Permitchaser

I'm in charge on my daughter's farm lake. So far its turned out better than I thought. 5 years ago i put fingerling bass, catfish, blue gill, shell crackers and grass carp. Its so good fishing i need to start removing some small bass and I need to get some catfish out. They are getting very large and are consuming a lot. I have gizzard shad and thread fin in the lake that i did not put there. 5 years ago when they bought the farm the lake was the dead sea
So i trapped some baby bream today and used them as bait and not a bite. I hate to use my cast net to catch gizzards but there's a lot of brush where the shad are and i dont want to tear it
I'm going back tomorrow..with the cast net

as a side note. I was fly fishing for one of those grass carp and snagged a fish i thought it was a bass but as the fish came up by its tail it was silver with black stripes..striper. I have no idea where that came from

Last edited by a moderator:

Big7

The Oracle
5 years will stunt bass.

I helped a buddy a while back because he really didn't know exactly what to do.

DNR has a free service, along with county extension agent. They confirmed what I had told him based on a few cast net counts on the lake.

TAKE ALL THE BASS OUT YOU CAN CATCH.
That will improve the lake exponentially.?

Not joking either.?

lampern

Its rare for catfish to reproduce in ponds and small lakes.

Chicken liver will catch both catfish and striped bass-white bass hybrids

mizzippi jb

Welcome back.

Lindseys Grandpa

A lake manager i talked wit said after a lake has a established population you should keep all bream, and any bass under 13 inchs

Permitchaser

This morning i bought some Magic Bait in cheese and liver. Took it to my daughter's farm lake. I fished with a bobber without a bobber all around the lake. I tried to fish as close to trees as I could. No bites. I was on the side of the lake where cows walk in the water to drink and cool off. So while there was a couple of cows in the water, i decide what the heck I'll throw my bait over there. Wham, it almost took the rod out of my hands. I set the hook and it took off. I couldn't slow it down no matter how mush pressure i put on it. Then it wen into a blow down tree and broke the 14 lb. Leader. I put these cats in here 5 years ago as finerlings. I didn't think they would get that big. I need to rethink my equipment. That fish was probably over 20

i think these catfish key off the cows walking in the water. The cows walking must scare up bait

Last edited:

Permitchaser

I went today during a good solanar table. Not only did i not catch any fish, i caught a snapping turtle. It was very windy