Catching dinner?

jbpriest

Hey y'all, I need some advice. My mom and I are coming to St Simon's this weekend Saturday-Tuesday. She loves to fish, but has never fished saltwater. I'm pretty good in freshwater, but all I know how to do in salt is rig up cut bait for sharks. I'd like to put her on something we can eat. Redfish, trout, flounder, big whiting, anything edible really. Can't afford a charter, so we'll be bank or pier fishing. Thanks!

Fletch_W

Banned
From the bank, I would recommend targetting whiting in the surf. I wouldn't suggest live shrimp because of too many bait stealers. Use fresh frozen shrimp, for human consumption, and pinch off small segments of it. And also don't oversize your hook. Keep it at a #6, I recommend the Eagle Claw Aberdeen, the gold shine stands out in murky Atlantic water. Also not a bad idea to fish it with an orange bead, as a secondary visual attractor. Also, don't cast out past where the fish are. They'll be knee deep. Don't overdue it with weights either, or you'll miss fish.

Using this method should catch you plenty of whiting, and even occasional redfish.

Redbeardless

Like he said, everything eats shrimp. Try live, fresh dead shrimp and mud minnows if you can find them. Fresh dead shrimp peeled and threaded on a hook will keep you busy. You will catch plenty of something, hopefully something to eat in the mix. Surf fishing should produce plenty of whiting.