CCI Quiet .22LR

Baroque Brass

Has anyone else noticed powder charge inconsistencies in these? I’ve used them to dispatch lots of limb rats but lately I’ve missed more than I’ve hit. I’ve noticed many of the shots haven’t has as loud of a report as I was used to. Attempted about a 30 yard shot today and saw the round hit the ground well in front of the squirrel. The critter allowed me a second shot so I aimed high. Louder report, bullet went high. Guess I need a suppressor (if the tax stamp didn’t cost so much) and just shoot SV loads.

I know it’s not skwirrel season, I'm doing pest control on my property.

Mr Bya Lungshot

BANNED LUNATIC FRINGE
So your planning to break the law hunting outta season with your suppressor?:crazy:

transfixer

I have a friend who lives inside city limits, and has multiple bird feeders on their patio, they've had to replace quite a few feeders because of squirrels tearing them up, they got fed up with it, and tried trapping them, but they got wise and avoided the traps, they finally bought a pellet rifle and have put a dent into the population, neighbors never hear the shots, problem solved

Baroque Brass

Back on track, how are Quiet 22’s working for you guys?

transfixer

Squirrels are rodents and have always been varmints, in my opinion. They are so over populated it should be open season year round. They can do serious damage if the get into an attic.

Especially true within city limits where they don't have many predators, other than the occasional hawk

Lilly001

I just got a Ruger Charger and the first loads I tried in it were the Quiet 22's.
Terrible accuracy.
5 shot group @ 25 yds was .5" vertical and 2" horizontal. And that's an average.
I went to the cci standards and I'm consistently about .5" or less and no stringing.
I'm useing a 2 Moa red dot so I'm happy with the accuracy from the cci standards.
And to my ear I hear little difference.

greg_n_clayton

I just got a Ruger Charger and the first loads I tried in it were the Quiet 22's.
Terrible accuracy.
5 shot group @ 25 yds was .5" vertical and 2" horizontal. And that's an average.
I went to the cci standards and I'm consistently about .5" or less and no stringing.
I'm useing a 2 Moa red dot so I'm happy with the accuracy from the cci standards.
And to my ear I hear little difference.
What Lilly said. I have found a standard velocity round to be more accurate for me than the souped up rounds ! Especially in my automatics !

Lilly001

Also the cci quiet round did not function the action of the charger.
The cci standard did function the action every time.

Lilly001

My Charger.
The silencer is a Slencerco Hybrid.
I'm playing with it until BATF lets my .22 silencer out of jail.
It works very well but is a bit large for this use.
And yes I know it's not recommended to use a centerfire silencer on a rimfire.

Attachments

• IMG_0082.JPG
    IMG_0082.JPG
    273.4 KB · Views: 23

Lilly001

Id get a BOLT action 22..and use 22shorts..problem solved all the way around? I’ve yet to find a subsonic 22LR that will cycle a semi auto..
Your post rattled my brain a little.
The cci standard velocity rounds may be supersonic in a rifle barrel.
Most standard load .22's are loaded at borderline supersonic. They usual stay subsonic in a pistol barrel.
Similar to 9mm 147 grain loads. Most are subsonic in a pistol so you don't need "subsonic" labeled (and priced) loads.

Baroque Brass

Id get a BOLT action 22..and use 22shorts..problem solved all the way around? I’ve yet to find a subsonic 22LR that will cycle a semi auto..
I’ve used shorts with good success. I’m shooting the Quiets in a Remington 541 that’s chambered for the three .22 rounds. The reason I started using the Quiets is, I figured with them being the same length as LR rounds, the gap between the bullet and barrel would shorter, thus improving accuracy. Also, the shorts will often spew out of the cheesy mag that Remington supplied with the rifle before I can get it seated in the gun.

GunnSmokeer

This thread has me thinking. I've only used CCI "Quiet" in my garage and in my backyard, shooting no more than 50 feet. I can't say that I've noticed differences in noise level or point of impact but maybe I'll try some experiments at 25 and 40 yards in my backyard and see.

P.S. Fired from an 18 inch or 22 inch rifle barrel, they are so quiet that adding a suppressor doesn't do much. A silencer only quiets them down a little more. But from a handgun, there is quite a difference, and a suppressor is worthwhile even using the Quiet ammo.

Post-P.S. No, these rounds will not cycle the semi automatic action of either my Ruger 10-22 or my Browning Buck Mark.
But that's OK; I don't mind hand cycling the action as long as I don't have to individually load the rounds into the chamber.
(Quiets are the same physical dimensions as a standard long rifle round, so they do feed fine out of the magazines and up into the chambers of my guns.)