CHAIN SAW?

SWAMPFOX

I'm in the market for a new chain saw. I had a Stihl and it was ok other than being hard to crank. Just wondering if Husqvarna might be better. Or some other brand? I don't want one made in China.
Thanks

Gaswamp

what model stihl did you have? Also, what kind of use are you planning?

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
I have owned Stihl and Poulan but now am a Husqvarna man.

SWAMPFOX

I had a Stihl MS 250 with an 18" blade. It was a work horse. But I found out this morning that it is toast because evidently I screwed up and failed to put oil into the marine gas when I last used it. Repair guy told me that it has no compression and it should be tossed.

I use it at my hunt club to clear roads and trails.

I'd be interested in opinions on Echo chains saws. I understand they are American made.

Thanks.

Mr Bya Lungshot

BANNED LUNATIC FRINGE
I had a Stihl MS 250 with an 18" blade. It was a work horse. But I found out this morning that it is toast because evidently I screwed up and failed to put oil into the marine gas when I last used it. Repair guy told me that it has no compression and it should be tossed.

I use it at my hunt club to clear roads and trails.

I'd be interested in opinions on Echo chains saws. I understand they are American made.

Thanks.
Order a set of rings on ebay.
You can probably clean up the piston and cylinder for $15.
The stihls are easy to repair from this kind of damage. Paying someone to do it you might as well buy a new saw.
You have to take it down pretty far to get the cylinder and piston off.
But in the long run you only spent $15 for rings.
I’ve done it many times.

SouthPaw Draw

GONetwork, GWF and NTWF Member
The new Stihls do seem finicky about cranking, my brother has a tree business and he just bought a new Stihl. It is a task to cold crank but once it cranks it runs hard. One thing I don’t like about the Huskys is the chain adjustment screw location.the Echos seem decent too, he has a couple Echo limb saws and no complaints, they are a lot cheaper too than the Stihls too.

tr21

if you use it alot the stihl cant be beat. but if you only use it every once in awhile you get buy with cheaper brands. overall stihls run forever with few problems IMO ! but they are expensive

Thunder Head

Gone but not forgotten
Ive had a stihl for years. If i screw around and flood it. Its a bear.

Co worker has been cutting firewood his whole life. (60s) He use nothing but husky.

Ive got a husky packpack leaf blower. Some of the best money i ever spent.

If something happened to my stihl. I wouldnt be afraid to own a husky. I dont know about echo chainsaws. No echo weedeaters for me though.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
I use and prefer a Husky. I`ve used a Stihl and they seem to be just as good.

Otisman

First new saw I ever bought was a husqvarna. I can say for sure it was tough. I threw it many times because it rarely would run. Could take a beating. Finally gave it away. Own a couple stihl’s now, farm boss and a smaller saw. Very happy with both. Have a friend who carries a battery saw on his side by side. He’s happy with it for limited use.

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
The new Stihls do seem finicky about cranking, my brother has a tree business and he just bought a new Stihl. It is a task to cold crank but once it cranks it runs hard. One thing I don’t like about the Huskys is the chain adjustment screw location.the Echos seem decent too, he has a couple Echo limb saws and no complaints, they are a lot cheaper too than the Stihls too.

the cranking issues is from the gooberment mandated self compensating carbs. They are suppose to lower emissions. I hate 'em, but you can't buy the older type carbs for them anymore

buckmanmike

Ive had several Stihls, but they were small homeowner saws. I wore them out. I bought a used husquvarna at the pawn shop, 455 I think. That saw will wear me out. Its a cutting machine. And the Stihl would shoot out saw dust, the Husky shoots out chips. Hard to compare because of different size/purpose saws.

Mauser

I like husky,but stihl is just as good. Main thing is to stay away from the smaller home owner saws. A 55cc saw is small as I'm going.

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
I like husky,but stihl is just as good. Main thing is to stay away from the smaller home owner saws. A 55cc saw is small as I'm going.

in a Stihl, that would be the MS291. A MS311 is 59cc

bullgator

They’re both good. They both make homeowner and pro level (commercial grade) saws. Spend the extra money on the pro grade and you won’t outlive it. I have Huskys but wouldn’t hesitate to own a Stihl. Husky takes 50:1 mix. Stihl used to take 40:1 but I’m not sure about that anymore.

Gaswamp

stihl takes 50:1