CHAIN SAW?

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
As someone who uses them for a living, get a Stihl or Husky. Both are good. Get the real one, not the homeowner grade one from Lowe's or Home Depot. Really big difference in quality. Either one will about last you a lifetime if you're not using it commercially every day. Echo used to make a good saw, but the new ones I've run are absolute junk.

7Mag Hunter

I have all of them, Stihl, Husky, Poulan, and an old monster of a MCculloch (26'bar".. my grandson has a new Echo...but my go to saw is a 50cc Husky with 18" bar....not much i can't cut with it...

1gr8bldr

Spoke to a recently retired friend from the saw business last week. Asked about the brands. Mine was stolen from the back of my truck so I need to replace it. I've always been a Sthil man on everything. He sold Sthil and Husquvarna. He said go with the Husquvarna. His words, much better, Sthil in recent years were going cheaper on build. Compared to my Sthil that was stolen, he recommended the 455. I liked the saw that was stolen, I can't remember the numbers... comparable to an 026. Although, I disliked the rubber band style pull cord.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Spoke to a recently retired friend from the saw business last week. Asked about the brands. Mine was stolen from the back of my truck so I need to replace it. I've always been a Sthil man on everything. He sold Sthil and Husquvarna. He said go with the Husquvarna. His words, much better, Sthil in recent years were going cheaper on build. Compared to my Sthil that was stolen, he recommended the 455. I liked the saw that was stolen, I can't remember the numbers... comparable to an 026. Although, I disliked the rubber band style pull cord.
That Husky 455 is a good all-around saw. We have a couple of them at work.

Slewfoot

I was a logger before I did 29 years as a career firefighter. Get a Stihl. Next is echo or Husky. Even for an occasional homeowner saw, do not get the cheaper saws as they will usually let you down and cost you more in the long run but there are occasional exceptions to the rule. Get a good saw and use good non ethanol gas and you will not be dropping 75.00-150.00 at the local small engine repair shop. This goes for most small engines. Good luck !!!

walkinboss01

I have a 20+ yr old echo and it’s a beast. Not sure about the new ones. I’ve used a few stihl saws and have been impressed.

Robust Redhorse

I've been a Husky guy for 30 years, but recent experience with higher tech Huskys are making me lean towards Stihl for my next purchase.

I work with guys who do a whole lot of chainsaw work and they almost all prefer Stihl.

JROESEL

I have 5 huskys, I worked at a tractor dealership and we were a husky dealer, I have rebuilt 4 of those five, do to people not properly mixing the gas, And not wanting to spend the money to repair them, I bought the 5, all are either 50 or 55 ranchers, the one I bought is the 460, You can get a piston and rings for less then 100 dollars, hone the cylinder, and drop in the new piston, it’s not that hard, but neither is mixing gas, I always mix my gas a little heavy on the oil, a fowled spark plug is a 2$ Fix, and I keep spares in every saw box, it’s up to you, but I love my huskys!!!!

southernman13

Echo fosho! We run CS590 and the 620. Never had a breakdown on a 7 year old saw. They’re the best imho. We have stilhl and a big husky w 3’ blade. Worst saw I’ve ever owned. I’ll never buy another. I’m sure I had a lemon. We were running saws every day practically for going on two years. The ms291 and 391 I believe did ok but I prefer the echos.

killerv

My husqvarna has been going strong for over 10 years, I make sure to use trufuel in it. I recently bought a 14in echo to keep in the truck, echos are lightweight and perfect for the small stuff instead of welding that big old husq of mine.

northgeorgiasportsman

Staff member
After my dad picked on up and I used his, I bought a Husky 545 last year. It's almost 3 pounds lighter and a bit stronger than the 455 Rancher.

ngamtns

Still has $50 off right now on the ms250. Good saw this makes my second ms 250. Had a 291 it was a too big for everyday use.

Attachments

• 7DF624F2-9F6B-49BB-9BE7-6D4CB1754512.png
    7DF624F2-9F6B-49BB-9BE7-6D4CB1754512.png
    565.7 KB · Views: 25

CamoDawg85

I have a stihl 311 with 20” bar. Cranks everytime on 2nd or 3rd pull. Wouldnt own anything else.

Have same model and you couldn’t give me another brand. Middle of summer or dead of winter, fires right up and runs like a raped ape. Have had mine for 10 or 11 years meow.

Ugahunter2013

Still has $50 off right now on the ms250. Good saw this makes my second ms 250. Had a 291 it was a too big for everyday use.

I had the ms250 for years before somebody decided to steal it out of my shop. It was a dang good saw too. When i had to replace it I went with the bigger 311. The only issue I have ever had with the 311 is when i cut my thigh pretty bad. Painful lesson learned. I wear chaps and a helmet no matter what now!

baddave

sounds like this is like asking what's the best deer caliber or best truck - blondes , brunettes or redheads -:huh: