CHAIN SAW?

hunter rich

And the Stihl would shoot out saw dust, the Husky shoots out chips.

I have been programming and operating CNC routers for over 20 yrs, and one of the things we strive for is the production of chips vs dust. Chips carry heat away from the material and the tool leading to longer tool life and a better cut. The same is true for chainsaws, chips = less work on your part and longer time between sharpening.

:cheers:

Dusty Roads

I tried an electric and MAN,is it light weight and quite....One could cut firewood/clear trail in the National Forrest and no-one could hear you.
And they can cut-ended up buying several with additional batteries-have carried in my backpack-Black&Decker
Showed my neighbor and next thing you know ,he got a big lithium Stihl.

Buckhead

I have owned several saws over the years. First one was a Poulan from the early 80s. Great saw until my neighbor borrowed it. Lesson learned. After that, 2 Stihls. Great saws when they run. As a typical homeowner, only use them a couple times per year. Even running them dry and using fresh fuel, was constantly rebuilding the carbs. After reading reviews on the E-Go battery saws, bought one from H Depot. It is amazing. Works well enough for any job I would take on. Have the blower also and share batteries. Only complaint is the chain comes off easily, but simple to reinstall. Quiet, no fuel or starting issues. Would never go back to a gas saw.

JWF III

They’re both good. They both make homeowner and pro level (commercial grade) saws. Spend the extra money on the pro grade and you won’t outlive it. I have Huskys but wouldn’t hesitate to own a Stihl. Husky takes 50:1 mix. Stihl used to take 40:1 but I’m not sure about that anymore.
stihl takes 50:1

I did have a guy that could work miracles with a chainsaw (The Saw Shop, in Covington). Unfortunately he had to shut the doors a couple years ago. He said the 50:1 was mandated by the EPA for emissions. He recommended 40:1 in everything. Said the worst that can happen is a fowled plug. I’ll go even heavier when I mill with the 066.

Also saw mention of marine gas/oil. I’ve been told by someone else, also more knowledgeable than me, that marine oil is made for engines cooled by fresh (not recirculated) water. Chainsaws are a completely different animal being air cooled, and not to use marine oil in them. I’m undecided on this, but it does make a lot of since.

Wyman

buckmanmike

In reference to chips vs dust I meant comparing brand new chains. The Stihl chain was smaller vs the Husky. A Stihl of the same size may have thrown the same size chips, but love my Husky.

Cool Hand Luke

Own several gas stihl so decided to try their battery saw and let me tell you, that little saw will cut. Used it today at my lease. Light weight, quiet, push a button, it's cranked. Have blower and trimmer as well so batteries are interchangable. Highly recommend for light duty cutting.

dusty200001

I had a Stihl MS 250 with an 18" blade. It was a work horse. But I found out this morning that it is toast because evidently I screwed up and failed to put oil into the marine gas when I last used it. Repair guy told me that it has no compression and it should be tossed.

I use it at my hunt club to clear roads and trails.

I'd be interested in opinions on Echo chains saws. I understand they are American made.

Thanks.
Sthil and echo are both top of the line. Pick either

Evergreen

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Not sure on models but we have a stihl, echo, and 2 maybe 3 huskys at the farm, maybe a few others in there but those get the most use, I took a chance in a bind and bought the craftsman 18" from lowes and it is what it is, a cheap saw for seldom use, but I will admit it surprised me granted I only ran it for 4-5 hours over the coarse of a weekend (I live a few hours away from my family's farm and didn't want that drive that particular day) solid little saw but I will def upgrade the chain. I was working on a few decent sized oaks and it performed as it should. I would recommend it but only use non ethanol and try to leave it empty, havent looked to see where its made but honestly it should last a fair amount of time for me at the house, it won't ever get any serious use like the saws at the farm do

From what I understand the newer smaller Huskies are made by Poulan, I have an old Husky 477, kinda heavy but it’s a commercial saw, cuts more wood than I can keep up with, bear in mind a very sharp chain is the key, bad chain on a great saw just won’t do the saw justice!

aabradley82

Husky and Stihl are both good saws. I like a husky better but that’s just me. Don’t overlook the makita either. Dad and I each bought 6100’s and they’re great. Be sure to buy from a saw shop, you’ll get better service than boxmart

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I would gladly trade my Sthil 025 for another Echo saw. I want one that cranks every time.
You don't want an Echo, then. The old ones were good. The new ones are pure-out junk. We bought several for work a couple years ago. Won't hardly start, won't run right, don't cut good. Junk. All of them. Never worked right from the beginning. I would rather have one of those old junker Homelites than the new Echos. Lesson learned. Stihl or Husky.

Cmp1

BANNED
You don't want an Echo, then. The old ones were good. The new ones are pure-out junk. We bought several for work a couple years ago. Won't hardly start, won't run right, don't cut good. Junk. All of them. Never worked right from the beginning. I would rather have one of those old junker Homelites than the new Echos. Lesson learned. Stihl or Husky.
Definitely agree,,,,Stihl or older Husky,,,,

hopper

Echo 590 and a 310 both have been great. I talked to a tree guy here and he said he has been switching over to them with good success. He also pulled a stihl out and said he dont leave home without it.
Crazy about the Echos not cranking, never once has either of mine given me trouble. Did have a friend of mine say his new stihl is a pain to crank, but I grabbed my neighbor's stihl while helping him out and it cranked no problem after 2 yrs of sitting after putting fresh gas in it. So who knows.
Happy with my 3yr old Echos though. The 590 will slice some wood.

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
If a Stihl is hard to crank, something is bad wrong. If mine doesn't crank by the 3rd pull of the rope when it is cold, something is off.

When it is hot, they crank first pull. Every time.

Para Bellum

Mouth For War
Husky. Mine sits outside until needed. Always cranks on the 3rd yank. Echo and Shindaiwa make good ones too.

WayneB

I have a source for parts for all brands, so burning up a saw is not a concern to me, nor is rebuilding one.
I have a 20 y/o Husky rancher 55 that's had a new $120 piston and cylinder put installed. Cranks every time. With a good sharp chain, it will eat.
The new saws with the primer bulb can be retrofitted with earlier carbs and bypass the primer, then you can have a decent to good saw for cheap.
If you buy a saw from the big box places, you are getting the lowest cost saw to make the sale. Buy from a hardware store or saw shop, and you'll pay more and get a better unit.
Don't be too quick to ignore the Jonsered saws, they are pretty solid too, and at TSC.

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
If you buy a saw from the big box places, you are getting the lowest cost saw to make the sale. Buy from a hardware store or saw shop, and you'll pay more and get a better unit.
Don't be too quick to ignore the Jonsered saws, they are pretty solid too, and at TSC.

how do those two statements jive?