CHAIN SAW?

tree cutter 08

I've run stihls everyday for years. I tired a few huskys about 10 years ago. They was little more finicky to crank but cut fast and smooth. I just couldn't keep the nuts and bolts tight on them. Also think about service. Those huskys would be in the shop for weeks if needed repair. Local stihl dealer will have them ready in a few days.

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
Jonesred has been around for years. I am familiar with them.

I was wondering if you didn't consider TSC a big box store. They have no service department. They contract with people who come by every few weeks to repair what they have there under warranty. If the part isn't on the guys truck, then your equipment sits until the next time he comes by.

WayneB

Jonesred has been around for years. I am familiar with them.

I was wondering if you didn't consider TSC a big box store. They have no service department. They contract with people who come by every few weeks to repair what they have there under warranty. If the part isn't on the guys truck, then your equipment sits until the next time he comes by.
I consider TSC about like family dollar lol. If they have what I need, I'm in and out. Only noticed they had Husky and Jonsered last time I was in. The huskies are the same models as lowes, so I consider them junk. I bought mine at an ACE hardware years ago, and they had a service department.
Northern Tool carries Stihl, and they have a service dept in every store I've been in.
Didn't look closely enough to see if they were the same models you'd find at a saw shop or not. Probably homeowner grade cheap-o version.

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
I consider TSC about like family dollar lol. If they have what I need, I'm in and out. Only noticed they had Husky and Jonsered last time I was in. The huskies are the same models as lowes, so I consider them junk. I bought mine at an ACE hardware years ago, and they had a service department.
Northern Tool carries Stihl, and they have a service dept in every store I've been in.
Didn't look closely enough to see if they were the same models you'd find at a saw shop or not. Probably homeowner grade cheap-o version.

from what I hear, you get a heavier duty Stihl if you buy the ones with an odd number... like a 271 instead of a 270. I will have to check this out with a friend of mine who has been a Stihl dealer for over 35 years.

Mr Bya Lungshot

BANNED LUNATIC FRINGE
Its the second number and it should be even for a stihl pro saw.
As in 660 vs 650 which has a smaller ring piston and cylinder by 2 mm.

Ray357

AWOL
I'm in the market for a new chain saw. I had a Stihl and it was ok other than being hard to crank. Just wondering if Husqvarna might be better. Or some other brand? I don't want one made in China.
Thanks
It's more to do with the model than the brand. Stihl and Husqvarna are about equal quality for price point. Their professional saws are jam up. Their home owner saws are, well.....

Makita and Echo are both jam up in their top tier saws.

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
Its the second number and it should be even for a stihl pro saw.
As in 660 vs 650 which has a smaller ring piston and cylinder by 2 mm.

ok.
thanks for clearing that up. I had heard something about odd/even number but thought they were talking about the last digit

OleCountryBoy

I've owned Stihl, Echo and Husky. Echo CS-440 - about 12 years old, easiest to crank, runs like top but I can't keep the bar/blade tight for more than 5 minutes. Stihl 250 an absolute PITA to crank but other than that ok and my Husky 550 XP is about 6 months old, love it.

WayneB

I had a Stihl MS 250 with an 18" blade. It was a work horse. But I found out this morning that it is toast because evidently I screwed up and failed to put oil into the marine gas when I last used it. Repair guy told me that it has no compression and it should be tossed.

I use it at my hunt club to clear roads and trails.

I'd be interested in opinions on Echo chains saws. I understand they are American made.

Thanks.
hlsupply.com if you have not already looked up parts.
I also find myself looking at new saws, hardest thing is they are out of stock about everywhere I call..

killerv

my husqvarna has performed flawlessly for over 10 years, I picked up an echo recently too, its junk compared to the husq.

Husq or stihl and you wont go wrong.

Run a premixed fuel like trufuel, will save you a lot of headaches.

killerv

Ive had a stihl for years. If i screw around and flood it. Its a bear.

Co worker has been cutting firewood his whole life. (60s) He use nothing but husky.

Ive got a husky packpack leaf blower. Some of the best money i ever spent.

If something happened to my stihl. I wouldnt be afraid to own a husky. I dont know about echo chainsaws. No echo weedeaters for me though.

I picked up a 125bt blower back in the mid 2000s, had to buy a bulb for it this past summer and was telling the guy that I can't kill the dang thing...he said they used to build them with kawasaki engines. Still going strong.

SWAMPFOX

I was looking at Stihl saws on their website and they offer a professional grade saw. Naturally, they are more expensive. I'm just curious...What is it specifically about the construction of "professional" grade saws that make them better than the "home owner" varieties.

Dbender

The professional saws have metal cases, the cheaper homeowner saws just use the plastic housing as part of the crankcase. Average person won't wear out a homeowner model with proper care. Some pro saws have a better filtration system and carb setup but once again homeowner will never notice. Stihl saws as a rule are generally a little tickier with carbs than huskys. I personally would recommend a husky.

greg j

I have a Husky and my son has a Stihl , i much prefer the Stihl. His Stihl is a newer "easy pull" model and my Husky is a few years older and mush harder to pull.

finnhunter

I am a Husky guy, never owned a Stihl. Nothing against Stihl, but Husky feels better in my hands. Currently have the 550 XP with 18" as an all-round saw and a 562 XP with 20" blade for the bigger stuff. Just bought a small Echo. At 34 cc, doesn't have much power, but light weight and good for small stuff.

crackerdave

I had a Stihl MS 250 with an 18" blade. It was a work horse. But I found out this morning that it is toast because evidently I screwed up and failed to put oil into the marine gas when I last used it. Repair guy told me that it has no compression and it should be tossed.

I use it at my hunt club to clear roads and trails.

I'd be interested in opinions on Echo chains saws. I understand they are American made.

Thanks.
Echo is a good saw.

The Original Rooster

Mayor of Spring Hill
I just finished up cutting up a bunch of trees on my place with a 16 inch Husqvarna. It could handle as big a tree as I was comfortable. One of my buddies has an 18 inch Husqvarna that did well too and we left the really big stuff to another buddy with a 20 inch Stihl. All three saws were cutting machines and gave us zero trouble so long as we fed them only non-ethanol fuel. I think a lot of the trouble folks have with saws is the fuel more than anything else.