CHAIN SAW?

Shadow11

Love my husky 455 rancher. Had it for 12 or 13 yrs I guess. I've cut I don't know how many trees into firewood with. Never had a problem with it, other than replacing a few chains. I had to pull it out the other day to cut a big tree for my dad. It's been in the garage for about 2 years. Fired right up and did great.

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
I think a lot of the trouble folks have with saws is the fuel more than anything else.

This right here. ^ I've got a Sthil MS 362 and a Husky 051 and I've learned if they are going to be in storage for a while the gas gets dumped back in the gas can and I crank them and run all the gas out of the carb so they get stored dry and don't gum up. Ethanol gas is bad nationwide.

Robust Redhorse

My small engine guy told me that he has tried everything, and the only thing that he has found that works all the time so far is:

- only use non-ethanol fuel (he has seen every additive fail)
- crank every small engine 1 time every 4 months and let it run for about 30 seconds

bullgator

My 372xp is 22 years old and the 346xp is about 17. Both still run strong with A little care and maintenance. That picture is from a week ago.A816F90B-385C-4C68-B792-476437A253CE.jpeg

nmurph

My 372xp is 22 years old and the 346xp is about 17. Both still run strong with A little care and maintenance. That picture is from a week ago.View attachment 1079469

I just stumbled across this thread. That's a fine pair of saws you have. I have 3- 372's and 5- 346's, all of which are ported. In total, I have something like 40 saws. I used to buy every saw from the largest ROW and tree service in the NE USA. I've rebuilt and sold in the neighborhood of 500 saws, mostly Husqvarna but I've worked on practically every brand and have saws from the 40's to modern, 2 cylinder saws and several that are 2-man saws. I agree that ethanol is a problem, but I use Stihl Ultra oil which is a synthetic with a stabilizer. I try to crank my saws every few months but don't always do so. I have some that only run annually and some go even longer bw firings. They fire up and run without hesitation with year-old mix-I'm a firm believer in fuel stabilizer. If you aren't going to use it in the next couple of months, dump the fuel and run it dry if you aren't using a stabilizer.

bullgator

I just stumbled across this thread. That's a fine pair of saws you have. I have 3- 372's and 5- 346's, all of which are ported. In total, I have something like 40 saws. I used to buy every saw from the largest ROW and tree service in the NE USA. I've rebuilt and sold in the neighborhood of 500 saws, mostly Husqvarna but I've worked on practically every brand and have saws from the 40's to modern, 2 cylinder saws and several that are 2-man saws. I agree that ethanol is a problem, but I use Stihl Ultra oil which is a synthetic with a stabilizer. I try to crank my saws every few months but don't always do so. I have some that only run annually and some go even longer bw firings. They fire up and run without hesitation with year-old mix-I'm a firm believer in fuel stabilizer. If you aren't going to use it in the next couple of months, dump the fuel and run it dry if you aren't using a stabilizer.
I put Seafoam in my fuels, except Trufuel. I had my dad’s 1960’s Skil chainsaw stolen in 1999. That thing was one heavy metal beast. It was probably 60cc and heavier than my 372. I wish I still had it, but the insurance money is what bought my 372.

I’ve run husky’s since the 80’s, stihls since the 90’s and recently an echo. All professional grade. Always use ethanol free gas properly mixed with oil, keep the air filter clean and I’ve never had a problem with any of them. i have a husky that’s about 30 years old still going strong.

1982ace

Have a husky 235 but bought a 450 rancher with a 20” bar today. Had a few big pines fall and needed a bigger saw. Pretty impressed with it.

benellisbe

I have a Stihl MS 391 (bought in 2021) and a Husky 455 Rancher I bought a long time ago. Both crank up without issue. I am running a 24" bar on the Husky to slab out some white oak. I haven't had tremendous issues with either. I do like the stihl better than the husky. Cranking seems easier to me. The husky wants to flood and needs to sit a while, especially if you turn the saw on it's side while cutting.

poohbear

If your not going to be cutting firewood every day I would go with an battery powered they have come a long way.

earlthegoat2

If you go Husky, I wouldn’t buy it from Lowe’s. I would buy but from a real chainsaw dealer.

If Husky, I would get a smaller pro saw like the 550xp. (XP means “xtra plastic” haha). The pro saws breath better and have more power from smaller CCs. Same with Stihl.

I would get a MS261 if Stihl. Same class as the above Husky.

I personally own an old 024 Super and an MS660 for milling. I use the 024 95% of the time and it only has a 16” bar. Small, light, and handy as heck. A bit small for a GP saw that is why I would suggest something a bit bigger for the average homeowner and hunting land manager.

If the 16” bar of the 024 is not enough, the 25” or 32” on t he 660 will get it done.

Havana Dude

Ran a stihl for many years. Was happy with it. Decided to go with a husky this time. I miss my stihl, but the husky works fine. It is a heavier saw though than my stihl was, only negative I can think of.

whitetailfreak

I run a 20" Stihl MS271 here around the farm, cutting fire wood and cutting trees out of fs rds when need be. I've been happy with it and great service from a mom and pop dealer here in Murray County.

Gaswamp

This right here. ^ I've got a Sthil MS 362 and a Husky 051 and I've learned if they are going to be in storage for a while the gas gets dumped back in the gas can and I crank them and run all the gas out of the carb so they get stored dry and don't gum up. Ethanol gas is bad nationwide.
how you like the 362?

Barfolomew

I've used Stihl for decades.

With modern gas, make sure you get the 2 cycle gas oil mix with a fuel stabilizer and don't mix more than you'll use in a say a season.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I've used Stihl for decades.

With modern gas, make sure you get the 2 cycle gas oil mix with a fuel stabilizer and don't mix more than you'll use in a say a season.
Non-ethanol gas makes a difference, too.

K80Shooter