Change…

Jim Boyd

Could not have picked a better time for it, unless your season is still on.

We welcome timber cutting and know we have at least one tract that will be thinned this year.

Good luck!

Bigmonk96

Same thing at our place -- but we had a successful season after all was cut & done,just hunting the edges -- everyone tells us,the next few years will be even better !!!!

rstallings1979

Cutting timber is good for about three or fours years and if your a rifle hunter unless you own the property and have the right to keep it burned off when it needs it. Otherwise you have a jungle of dead undergrowth and saplings. The turkey hunting really suffers after year two as well
Just started experimenting with fire on younger loblolly stands on our own property (less than 12 years old). I have also noticed the first three or four years after a plant hold a ton of deer but when they canopy out there's just nothing in there for the deer unless its bedding and then it needs to be close to water and food for them to really use it for bedding. I took a nine year old loblolly stand and ran a fire through it this past weekend. Temps were low and I waited to light the fire close to dark (5pm) with a humidity about 38 percent and rising....wind in the 7 mph range. I now wish I would have lit it earlier to get the fire a little hotter. It cleaned it out but I don't think I really opened up the canopy enough to obtain my goal of having a nice balance of young pines as well as a good area for wildlife to use. Time will tell I suppose. I did a smaller 12 acre tract to start that has a drain (natural fire break) separating it from a larger 24 acre tract. I didn't want to scorch 36 acres of pines of course. Once I saw how the fire wasn't going to go crazy I lit the larger tract. I asked two different foresters their thoughts on doing it. One was scared to death and noted that I may kill all the trees...the other was more in line with what actually happened. He told me he would be surprised if I got any mortality at all with the low temps and lighting it late in the day.

Attachments

• 415BEF88-122A-4B85-A386-529AC2553D21.jpeg
    415BEF88-122A-4B85-A386-529AC2553D21.jpeg
    351.1 KB · Views: 31

BamaGeorgialine

That's interesting. I'd say the best part of what you've done is the experience that you've gained. You seem like the kind of guy that may keep upgrading your acreage and when you do, you'll have a jam up farm for you and your family. Awesome job man. Keep us posted on the results

uturn

I might add I relish the change with timber harvest and what it brings! Didn’t always but I was young then…my landowner has a history of leaving it like a bomb went off only negative for me…pulled all my lock-ons so hanging them again will be cool to figure out…I look forward to what it all will bring!

A last look at the killin tree, killed some fine buck from this set and oh my buck forage oats is still hangin!

18A48B83-0A2F-49AD-A035-0C5CC26A17EB.jpeg

Last edited:

rstallings1979

That's interesting. I'd say the best part of what you've done is the experience that you've gained. You seem like the kind of guy that may keep upgrading your acreage and when you do, you'll have a jam up farm for you and your family. Awesome job man. Keep us posted on the results
It feels like a juggling act...obviously I want the return of money on the pine trees in 15 or 20 years but I want the area to be beneficial to wildlife as well until then. National Deer Association emailed an article out this morning that is interesting (I posted it in a new topic) as well concerning the use of fire vs the cost of foodplots/supplemental protein feed. Using fire has peaked my interest since protein and food plot costs have gone up so much. It is a good read when you have time.

marshallknight

Man I would look forward to it. Our family farm had some timber clear cut last winter, but they had to come back to thin some this year and of course they started the 1st week in November facepalm:. I was really disappointed to say the least, thought I would get in one more hunt before they started but I passed the loggers heading out on my way in. Since I was already there I decided to hunt anyway...ended up killing the biggest buck that has been killed off the farm. This was my view from the stand that day.

Attachments

• log truck 11.3.22.jpg
    log truck 11.3.22.jpg
    161.2 KB · Views: 97

ssramage

Here in Southeast GA, timber cutting is just part of it. They've absolutely raped our place in the last few years but the deer are still there. This year they cut straight through season. Dealing with the loggers is the biggest headache.

Blackston

Man I would look forward to it. Our family farm had some timber clear cut last winter, but they had to come back to thin some this year and of course they started the 1st week in November facepalm:. I was really disappointed to say the least, thought I would get in one more hunt before they started but I passed the loggers heading out on my way in. Since I was already there I decided to hunt anyway...ended up killing the biggest buck that has been killed off the farm. This was my view from the stand that day.
"worthless:

Blackston

I mean that we wanna see the best buck ever !!!! It’s one of the biggest reasons I come here