Changes to 2021 dove season

Danny Leigh

GONetwork Member
Looks like opening day hours will now be 30 min before sunrise instead of noon on private lands. I received a survey asking about WMA opening day, but I was perplexed at one of the options.

On WMAs on opening date
Option 1 - open at 30 minutes before sunrise and end at noon. ????????????
Option 2 - keep it at noon on opening day

Most of the areas I have hunted the majority of the birds fly in the afternoon or evening.

Why in the world would they even have an option to end at noon for doves?

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
What’s the purpose for the change ?

gabrielp23

It seems that there were two different surveys sent out pertaining to the shooting hours on opening day. While others have reported receiving a survey about opening day shooting hours in general, I, like the OP, received a survey that was strictly about WMA’s and quota hunts. I can confirm that the two options on the survey that I received were just as the OP has them listed - 1) 30 minutes before sunrise UNTIL NOON, or 2) noon until sunset. I am aware that the shooting hours on opening day for PRIVATE land will now begin 30 minutes before sunrise. However, I haven’t been able to find any information about the results of the WMA/quota hunt survey. I can’t imagine many being in favor of WMA/quota hunts ending at noon. Anyone have any insight?

gabrielp23

Attached are pics of the survey that I received.

Attachments

• 7BE1F3A6-05D0-43BF-AA67-DCCA9AF579BF.jpeg
    7BE1F3A6-05D0-43BF-AA67-DCCA9AF579BF.jpeg
    236.4 KB · Views: 27
  • 044EE558-C0AB-4117-B354-80CA628965BC.jpeg
    044EE558-C0AB-4117-B354-80CA628965BC.jpeg
    84.3 KB · Views: 27

Ihunt

I bet the reasoning for a half day on a WMA is to allow the doves to feed. In doing so, you have a better chance of successful hunts on that field in the future.

Ihunt

Most of the WMA fields I have been on the birds mainly fly in the evening.

That may be true but the question asked was why only a half day option and the answer may be what I posted. As far as what time it opens, I assume they listened to the votes from the survey.

Danny Leigh

GONetwork Member
Not so sure the DNR thought this one through, survey or no survey. Looks like all managed dove fields will have hours from daylight to noon on opening day.

We had some very memorable youth quota dove hunts at Walton, Redlands and DiLane. I can only imagine getting the boys up to make a 1-2 hour drive to get there an hour before daylight (when you can get on the field) and then have to stop shooting at noon.

1626982225051.png

Dustin Pate

Administrator
Staff member
Wow. That is absolutely garbage that makes zero sense at all. Might as well do all day. That is basically penalizing public field hunters. Not to mention taking away the best hours of shooting (3-6).

Souhternhunter17

Not so sure the DNR thought this one through, survey or no survey. Looks like all managed dove fields will have hours from daylight to noon on opening day.

We had some very memorable youth quota dove hunts at Walton, Redlands and DiLane. I can only imagine getting the boys up to make a 1-2 hour drive to get there an hour before daylight (when you can get on the field) and then have to stop shooting at noon.

View attachment 1092399

Yeah I don't agree with this at all. I attended the Redlands hunt for about 5 years in a row until I exhausted my "youth" status way back when. Had an absolute blast on all of them. Many will be showing up to these WMA's for the first time and will have no idea what the field looks like. Not to mention it doesn't allow for DNR running the hunt to give the all important safety speech. The only reasons I can think of for doing it this way is to allow the birds to rest, and keeping folks from hiding birds/double dipping after lunch. However that could of been solved by just beginning the hunt at the classic 12:00 time. I feel this will be changed next year though after DNR realizes the headache it is and the will of the hunters to shoot in the afternoon.

across the river

Wow. That is absolutely garbage that makes zero sense at all. Might as well do all day. That is basically penalizing public field hunters. Not to mention taking away the best hours of shooting (3-6).

Yeah I don't agree with this at all. I attended the Redlands hunt for about 5 years in a row until I exhausted my "youth" status way back when. Had an absolute blast on all of them. Many will be showing up to these WMA's for the first time and will have no idea what the field looks like. Not to mention it doesn't allow for DNR running the hunt to give the all important safety speech. The only reasons I can think of for doing it this way is to allow the birds to rest, and keeping folks from hiding birds/double dipping after lunch. However that could of been solved by just beginning the hunt at the classic 12:00 time. I feel this will be changed next year though after DNR realizes the headache it is and the will of the hunters to shoot in the afternoon.

I agree that on a lot of fields, especially in early season, the field is better in the afternoon. I 100% AGREE. However, a survey was sent out and a large number of people wanted it to go daylight opening day and daylight to noon on WMAs. It is hot as fire a lot of opening days, so I understand why people would vote that way. If you don't want to hunt daylight and want to hunt the afternoon on opening day, go hunt a private spot. You can eat BBQ for lunch, have all the safety speeches you want, and hunt the afternoon. If you want to hunt public, go hunt morning to noon like the rule says. I don't get the complaining.

I for one, am grateful that the Georgia DNR is asking for feedback and then making regulation and season changes based on the feedback. Thats great. Are all of the changes that have been made changes, or changes that will occur in the future changes that I agree with or would have made myself, no, not at all. But they are getting feedback and making changes based upon that feedback, and as hunters that is all we can ask for.