Charged muzzleloader question

Lloyd

I loaded my muzzleloader with two 50/50 Pyrodex pellets on Saturday. That evening I removed the 209 primer, but left the load in place; hunted Sunday, didn't discharge the weapon, hunted Monday, didn't discharge the weapon.

My question: Is leaving the Pyrodex in the barrel okay? I'm wondering if one or two things might happen:

1. Can the pellets attract/absorb any residual moisture in the barrel and thus be degraded;
2. Can the Pyrodex harm the barrel if left in place too long?

Thanks.

dixie

Powder

Lloyd, it'll be fine, Heck, I've left mine loaded, hanging on the wall for a year at a time and they still work just fine. No primer in of course. BTW, yes, those pellets draw moisture like a sponge, make sure to keep them in a dry place, LOL, I just found out last Friday, JUST how much they will draw!!

Last edited:

BROWNING7WSM

GONetwork Member
I always heard not to leave them loaded more than a day or two..You guys really leave them loaded longer? Even all season? :speechles

dixie

powder

Browning, yup, I have, and while I do discharge them and load fresh in, I haven't had a problem with it. I'm not saying it's the right thing to do, BUT, I haven't had any problems in leaving mine loaded. A couple of days isn't going to hurt anything, IMO, unless you were hunting in wet conditions.

Lloyd

I just emailed Hodgdon for their opinion. If/when I hear from them I'll post their reply.

I do tend to agree with Browning that leaving pellets in the barrel is probably a bad, though convenient, practice. I think if I don't get a reply from Hodgdon I'll start unloading after no more than two days.

deermeat270

Banned
I just fired mine a month ago and it was still loaded from last season. It went right off. I know its not the best practice, but i think it doesnt hurt.

Deer

tracker

charge

I have left one loaded with no primer for a 8 month stretch from last December until last summer, and it fired as fast as ever. I was using Clearshot powder and just wanted to see what would happen. I wouldn't want to leave it for more than a couple of dry days hunting though! Just in case I do get a shot, I want to have as few excuses as possible.

Danny

Jim Ammons

The main problem you will have with the old original black power is if any moisture accumulates in the barrel it will be prone to rust quickly. The triple 7 is not this bad. I have left mine loaded for weeks at the time and kept it dry and had no problems.

Lloyd

I finally heard back from Hodgdon; they said that Pyrodex by itself is not corrosive, but if it comes in contact with any moisture in the barrel and then remains in the barrel it will cause corrosion. They further suggest storing Pyrodex in a low humidity environment; if that is not possible they ask that you put the Pyrodex in a zip-loc bag.

Although they didn't address it specifically, it goes without saying that if the Pyrodex does come in contact with moisture in the barrel it will lose some of its potency.

So, I guess that finishes this thread.