Charlie Elliot Range closure for administrative reasons

Why is the Charlie Elliot rifle range restricting access to the 50 yard range? I was told by several of the staff that they had to fill up the 100 yard range with shooters before opening the 50 yard range. I don't want to be shooting next to a pistol shooter who has his target at 10 yards while i'm sighting in a rifle at 100 yards. These are two different styled ranges, for different shooters. I was at the range yesterday and almost every table had a shooter on it, but you have a great 50 yard range locked up and empty. This new policy is idiotic in my opinion and is a waste of resources. Come on guys this is stupid!!!!

Last edited:

Mr Bya Lungshot

BANNED LUNATIC FRINGE
Deer season is now and why would you care what the next guy over is shooting at the range as long as he is safe with his weapon?

Gator89

I shoot frequently in indoor ranges with handgun, rifle and even shotgun shooters with in the next lane on either side of me.

i have used the 25 yard line at an outdoor range to get a new rifle / scope combo on paper.

It certainly would not bother me to share an outdoor 100 yard range.

Last edited:

Big7

The Oracle
Dang.. I was thinking about going there.

The indoor range in town is only 25yds.
I got the full, unlimited membership there but it's really LOUD and very Smokey on there for someone that has lung problems.

Why is CE even closed?
Last time I went, there were no range masters and 2 or three folks shooting the 100yd range.

It would be great if a private property owner opened up a range.

South River is not all that far. They have a 300yd range. Way to much to join if you are only going to check zero on a few rifles once a year. ?

Wish they had hourly. It's a decent range.

Gator89

Dang.. I was thinking about going there.

The indoor range in town is only 25yds.
I got the full, unlimited membership there but it's really LOUD and very Smokey on there for someone that has lung problems.

Why is CE even closed?
Last time I went, there were no range masters and 2 or three folks shooting the 100yd range.

It would be great if a private property owner opened up a range.

South River is not all that far. They have a 300yd range. Way to much to join if you are only going to check zero on a few rifles once a year. ?

Wish they had hourly. It's a decent range.

If South River was "affordable", you would not be able to get in the gate without a reservation days or weeks in advance. It would be like making a tee time at a golf course.

Plus OP said they don't open the short range until all lanes on the 100 yard lane is full, not that the range is totally shutdown. Round up enough shooters to make it happen!

Mr Bya Lungshot

BANNED LUNATIC FRINGE
I shoot frequently in indoor ranges with handgun, rifle and even shotgun shooters with in the next lane on either side of me.

i have used the 25 yard line at an outdoor range to get a new rifle / scope combo on paper.

It certainly “would” bother me to share an outdoor 100 yard range.
:waggingfinger::huh:

delacroix

BANNED
They used to not let you sight in a rifle on the 100 until you had got it on at 25. And target holders had to be at least 50 downrange and at a certain height to avoid skipping bullets too far from the berm to stop the bullets going over.

My point is this change y'all describe is just based on some person's opinion. If you complain loudly at a higher level you have good odds of success. I would include the point that inexperienced handgun shooters have trouble minding their muzzle. That reason is why I stopped going to that range. I'm glad no one has been shot there, but I don't intend to be the first.

ucfireman

I shot there last year, both gun ranges were open and there were not too many people there. And they provided a target stand (which was new from my last visit). Its a great PUBLIC range that is paid for with OUR LICENSE purchases. It is staffed by volunteers, by my understanding.
Either way there is no reason that the whole thing should not be open, unless they are making improvements. Last year the parking area was closed while they put in new restrooms.

Dutch

AMERICAN WARRIOR
Overbearing staff and ridiculous rules is the man reason I quit using WMA ranges and built my own in the backyard.

Especially after me and the jackleg that was staffing the Ocmulgee Range locked horns over some brass.:mad:

au7126

I just returned from Charles Elliot shooting range and was pleasantly surprised at the improvements that have been made . Missed two years for medical problems so all is new to me. Showed the rangemaster the above "chatter" and none of the three workers can identify the problem from the past. Be prepared to be trained to the new system and overview by the staff. Highly recommend the range and staff.