Chattahoochee Bear

1eyefishing

...just joking, seriously.
Congrats. I finally figured out my problem. I drove a little further down the road I've been hunting and found a sign that said, "Bear Lefft."
I need a new spot!

Killer Kyle

That one will eat just fine!! Way to get it done man! Congrats on a fine bear!!!

bany

Congrats sir!

dmac

Just a little back story. I've been hunting Chattahoochee WMA for 40 years. I hunt up there every year and usually all opens hunts I get at least a days hunt in. During that time I have been in on numerous bear hunts that ended with a long drag out but never my own. I have seen many bears over the years and shot two that I was unable to recover. For one reason or another something always prevented a shot or I passed on the shot because of the iffy size. That 75# rule sure makes you question a lot of bears. It was a long drag yesterday but thankfully mostly downhill. I was over an hours walk from the road and by myself. Of course when I shot her she had to run off the other side of the ridge. Once I got her back to the top it was a fairly easy drag back down. Sometimes she was dragging me. I got her to the creek and cooled her down. Finally I closed the deal on one. I've also been on a lot of successful deer and hog hunts in these mountains. I have seen a lot of changes at Chattahoochee since the seventies and I have some awesome memories. Some great memories with my late Dad and now making memories with my grandson. Bear hunting is the best it's ever been up there right now. I sure hope next weeks "controversial" hunt don't ruin it for those of us who have grown old in those hills. Thanks for the comments and good luck to all of you.

Buckman18

Congratulations on an awesome bear!

CornStalker

Well done sir!

I'm with you on the 75# rule. I've pretty much decide if it doesn't look 100#, I'm not going to take the shot. It's too hard to judge their weight and I'd rather have some margin for error.

Congrats, again.

FMBear

Just a little back story. I've been hunting Chattahoochee WMA for 40 years. I hunt up there every year and usually all opens hunts I get at least a days hunt in. During that time I have been in on numerous bear hunts that ended with a long drag out but never my own. I have seen many bears over the years and shot two that I was unable to recover. For one reason or another something always prevented a shot or I passed on the shot because of the iffy size. That 75# rule sure makes you question a lot of bears. It was a long drag yesterday but thankfully mostly downhill. I was over an hours walk from the road and by myself. Of course when I shot her she had to run off the other side of the ridge. Once I got her back to the top it was a fairly easy drag back down. Sometimes she was dragging me. I got her to the creek and cooled her down. Finally I closed the deal on one. I've also been on a lot of successful deer and hog hunts in these mountains. I have seen a lot of changes at Chattahoochee since the seventies and I have some awesome memories. Some great memories with my late Dad and now making memories with my grandson. Bear hunting is the best it's ever been up there right now. I sure hope next weeks "controversial" hunt don't ruin it for those of us who have grown old in those hills. Thanks for the comments and good luck to all of you.
Awesome backstory you provided. No doubt those bears will take the wrong side of the ridge/mountain. Your dragging it all the way is accomplishment in itself.
Again, congratulations. I know you'll enjoy the meals to come.

Unicoidawg

Staff member
Atta boy Dale..... Now go kill another one.

dmac

CONGRATS! We’re you still hunting or did you just pick a spot to sit all day?
I was sitting on good feeding sign. This has been a productive area for years. My son took his first bear a couple years ago less than 20 ft from where I was sitting. The one I shot was bear number 4 seen here in two days. It's a long walk in and a long drag out. I always get in before light and sit until dark.