Chattahoochee/Chestatee WMA Rifle hunt

Timberman

Who all's going? I'll be up there a couple of days. Time to get em!

Weather looks hot though.

Timberman

Nice! Have you scouted much? I've been a couple of times found sign each time. However I'm betting the hurricane knocked some acorns down and changed things.

Tio Hey Seuss

Nice! Have you scouted much? I've been a couple of times found sign each time. However I'm betting the hurricane knocked some acorns down and changed things.

Yea, I've done a fair bit of scouting on Chattahoochee. It's pretty hard to narrow down a spot though because there seems to be sign everywhere. Not a bad problem to have I guess haha. Seems like the wildlife openings planted with sourgum have been getting the most traffic the last month or 2 but all the fresh scat has been increasingly made up of acorns. No surprise there.

My strategy for the hunt is to get way back in the middle of nowhere the day before and hunt my way back towards the road for the next few days. Wifey is gonna meet me at the road when I get there and I'm gonna put her on a wildlife opening for the last 2 days so she can hunt without the suffering of a back country trip haha.

Buckman18

I know the road at the top of the WMA on the Unicoi side is still closed because of the hurricane, not sure about the other roads.

Timberman

Yeah I was gonna ask how the roads look. I'm hunting on Chestatee.

twincedargap

Hunted it this past weekend. The number trees down on Chestatee is significant. Even roads are open, w/ch I assume will be limited, the fallen trees & limbs makes getting in & out really difficult having to climb over or under them. The leaf litter also makes walking secondary trails in the dark harder, as it easier to misread and take a wrong turn.

The trees, limbs, leaf litter, make finding & reading sign a challenge. I had a sow and three cubs come by Sunday morning. They grazed a whole hillside on fallen acorns and limbs with acorns.
i-BBQN3zG

i-BBQN3zG-X3.png

Other than hunting known trails or gaps funneling movement, don't know how to target them with the abundance of food on the ground.

Good luck next week. I plan to be taking vacation also in hopes of taking my first bear.

Last edited:

Bkeepr

I'll be going for a couple of day hunts.

The mtn man

I'll probably hunt Saturday, I'll be in a white 4 door Chevy. I haven't hunted chatahoochee in several years, I didn't even know they had this early bear rifle hunt. I know just where I'm going without scouting.

Buckman18

I'll probably hunt Saturday, I'll be in a white 4 door Chevy. I haven't hunted chatahoochee in several years, I didn't even know they had this early bear rifle hunt. I know just where I'm going without scouting.

Give me a shout if you want to team up. I'll be there also, trying to get my 10 year old her first bear. Been close the past 2 yr, she can handle her rifle better now so keeping fingers crossed!!!

Gerrik

I'll be on Chattahoochee, at least the first couple days. Found a few ridges with decent sign. If anyone needs help dragging, hit me up.

jbogg

I realize that Chestnut Oaks aren't the acorn of first choice, but the amount of nuts on the ground in some places is amazing. Really is like walking on marbles. Good luck to all and be safe.

Attachments

• IMG_5378.JPG
    IMG_5378.JPG
    429.2 KB · Views: 742

northgeorgiasportsman

Staff member
I realize that Chestnut Oaks aren't the acorn of first choice, but the amount of nuts on the ground in some places is amazing. Really is like walking on marbles. Good luck to all and be safe.

Not only acorns, but twigs, limbs, etc. brought down by hurricane Irma will make spot and stalking very difficult in places. I hung a stand on a ridge between two white oak hollers this weekend and I realized I won't be quietly sneaking to my stand and chances are, I'll hear anything coming my way long before it gets to me. Lots of debris on the ground.

Killer Kyle

I'll be out there this weekend. I'll be hunting, so none of you are allowed to text me and ask me for help! If you need help, I'll be glad to send you Buckman's number.::ke:

The mtn man

Give me a shout if you want to team up. I'll be there also, trying to get my 10 year old her first bear. Been close the past 2 yr, she can handle her rifle better now so keeping fingers crossed!!!

Sure thing, do you know where your going?

Timberman

So for the most part have the main roads been cleared?

Jbogg that's what I'm thinking...acorns everywhere.

Kochd79

I'll be on my place about 2 miles SW as the crow flies from Chestatee. Hoping you guys drive them my way.